How to use Nvidia Nsight Systems remote session using SSH

I’m on Windows, and I want to profile with Nvidia Nsight Systems an application that is running on Linux. I was trying for quite some time to make Nsight connect via SSH to my Linux box, but I couldn’t make it work.
Did anyone succeed with that?
I get “Password authentication is not supported” or a variety of other errors. None of them really tell me how to solve it.

My Linux is configured to use SSH keys, but I can try any other configuration if someone knows how to make it work.

Some workarounds I would like to avoid:

• Working directly on the Linux box (not possible).
  • Collecting data on the Linux box using command line, then analyzing on Windows (inconvenient).
  • Running Nsight Systems on the Linux box, and connecting via remote desktop or X-server (very inconvenient, works poorly).

You should be able to remote access Linux machines from a Windows host.

@Andrey_Trachenko to triage/assign.

OpenSSH is very flexible, and can be configured in a lot of different ways. In Nsight Systems, we typically test the default SSH configurations that ship with the supported Linux distros, such as Ubuntu and CentOS. (This is just in case there is more to the SSH configuration in this case other than using public key authentication.)

Based on the “Password authentication is not supported”, I assume that the server is configured to not accept passwords (such as by using PasswordAuthentication no in /etc/ssh/sshd_config).

Nsight Systems support public key authentication since version 2021.5. I assume you use a newer version already. I will need to check which SSH config and key file paths are used on Windows, and will get back to you.

Thank you for bringing up this issue with us.

I can confirm that we have a problem in this setup. I will let you know next week if there is a workaround to get you unblocked. This will likely be fixed in 2022.5 later this year.

Thanks for checking.

As a workaround, the ssh key could be explicitly set by IdentityFile in %userprofile%\.ssh\config.

For example, to set one key for all hosts, these lines can be added to the %userprofile%\.ssh\config file:

Host *
   IdentityFile C:\Users\[yourusername]\.ssh\id_rsa

Before adding lines, [yourusername] should be changed to the actual user name, and id_rsa should be changed if the required ssh key has a different name.

I have version 2022.4.1 on macOs and I am trying to connect to remote server as well. I tried to set the identityFile in the config file as suggested, but could not resolve the password auth failure (the server is configured as well with PasswordAuthentication no)

Are there any steps that I am missing?