Huge regression in Starfield with 550.40.07/535.154.05/535.43.28 vs. 545.29.06 (frametime issues)

I’ll make this rather quick.

My configuration is as follows:

• i5-13600KF
  • RTX 3070 Ti
  • 64 gigs of DDR5 RAM
  • Manjaro Linux “Vulcan” (v23.1.3) running kernel 6.7.0-0
  • No overclocks of any kind
  • Game is running via Steam and Proton Experimental (bleeding-edge branch, but behavior below is not dependent on Proton/Wine or vkd3d-proton version)

This is a screenshot depicting Starfield gameplay (latest game version as of this moment) on latest Vulkan dev driver (535.43.28, released on Feb 16th 2024):

Make note of heavy stutters and uneven frametimes. Any movement feels very jittery.

In turn, this is a screenshot depicting Starfield gameplay (latest game version as of this moment) on latest “New Feature Branch” driver (545.29.06, released on Nov 23rd 2023):

Make note how framerate is pretty much the same, but there are NO stutters whatsoever (provided the game rebuilds its shaders, which it does on every driver change). The movement feels much better and smoother, and the game literally goes from “nearly unplayable” to “rather playable” in this particular aspect.

I reiterate: nothing has changed in configuration, neither game’s nor system’s settings of any kind. Just full driver reinstall back and forth.

NVIDIA, what gives? I’m sick and tired of these effing regressions and general disregard towards your Linux users. I’m seriously considering dropping your hardware next time I upgrade my rig, and go AMD instead – because whilst they are not perfect, both RADV and AMDVLK drivers are in much better state of support.

Fix your shit.

Bumping this again.

Bump.

Am I to understand that moderators will simply ignore this thread going forward?

Hi @reggos
Apologize for the late response, I have filed a bug 4514110 internally for the tracking purpose.
Shall prepare similar setup and try to achieve local repro for debugging.

Hi @reggos
Could you please run the game with VKD3D_DISABLE_EXTENSIONS=VK_NV_device_generated_commands_compute and see if the issue reproduces on driver 550.40.07.

Why specifically on 550.40.07 which is an outdated beta? Isn’t 550.54.14 based on the same codebase but it’s actually a release version?

Edit: never mind that, checked with that version anyway. Frame times have smoothed out, but FPS overall tanked by around 10%, from 40-50 FPS down to 35-40 FPS.

Edit 2: the same behavior is observed with 550.54.14

Bump.

Would you be able to check if the stutter issue with Starfield is resolved with the recently released 550.40.53 Vulkan beta driver? You can download that here: https://developer.nvidia.com/vulkan-driver

@esullivan

I’ve checked the behavior with 550.40.53 - runs just as bad as with 550.54.14:

The screenshot and perfomance portrayed above are captured without VKD3D_DISABLE_EXTENSIONS=VK_NV_device_generated_commands_compute. With that in the command line, the performance is about 10-15% worse than with 545.29.06, with frequent stutters.

Hi @reggos
I am not able to recreate issue on below setup, I did not observe any stutter and major difference in frame time.

OMEN by HP 25L Gaming Desktop GT15-0xxx + AMD Ryzen 7 5700G with Radeon Graphics + Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS + kernel 6.7.6 + NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 + Driver 550.54.14/550.40.07
Could you please confirm exact display and game settings so that I can match the same and retry for local repro.

Are you using x11 or Wayland?
I seen some similar stutters on Wayland on 550 drivers, but on x11 I dont have any of problems you described.

Hi @reggos
Request you to please test with 550.40.55 driver and if by any chance issue persists, please confirm exact display and game settings so that I can match the same and retry for local repro.
https://developer.nvidia.com/downloads/vulkan-beta-5504055-linux

Hi @reggos
Please help to share feedback as per earlier comments.

Hi @reggos
Please help to share feedback as per earlier comments.