I can't install jetpack 4.2 sdk on my tx2

Is it possible to edit the SDK install script to use ethernet and 192.168.55.x?

I’ve spent more time working on an install than playing with Tensorflow.

NUC was up and running in an hour.

So, I’ve manually copied over everything in the SDK folder from host to TX2 and manually installing everything using gdebi and chugging along.

I did have to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH and PATH to include /usr/local/cuda/bin

LD_LIBRARY_PATH is meant for the location of dynamically loadable libraries. None will be found in a bin directory. There are various “lib” directories this might apply to, but “bin” is not one of them. Library path will be for libs of the target architecture. For example, “arm64/aarch64” versus “lib64”, and for the particular libraries you are interested in.

jlangone,

Can you please do a few things to help us debug the USB network issues:

Plug in the USB flashing cable between Jetson and your PC.
Boot Jetson from cold power on.
Run “dmesg > dmesg.txt”, and send us dmesg.txt.

After Jetson is booted, run “journalctl -u nv-l4t-usb-device-mode > service.txt” and send us service.txt.

Run “hexdump -C /proc/device-tree/serial-number” and send us the output. (You may need to install hexdump first by running “sudo apt install bsdmainutils”.)

Run the following commands:
sudo /opt/nvidia/l4t-usb-device-mode/nv-l4t-usb-device-mode-stop.sh
sudo bash -x /opt/nvidia/l4t-usb-device-mode/nv-l4t-usb-device-mode.sh > start.txt 2>&1
… and send us start.txt

Run:
cat ‘/sys/devices/external-connection/external-connection:extcon@1/extcon/extcon0/state’
… and send us the output.
Note: If “USB=1” is not present, then this indicates a problem with your USB cable or USB connector. Try replacing the cable, and/or reseating it in the micro USB connector. The “VID” feature of the cable is required for USB Ethernet to operate correctly, but not for recovery mode (flashing) to operate correctly.

Thanks!

Guys still have no instruction on how to make sure the Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS host is configured properly to flash the Jetson TX2 with the latest Jetpack … is there an ETA to resolving this flash issue with the NVIDIA SDK???

nick.hortovanyi,

I don’t know why you’re having this problem. It is odd. Could you try flashing from a different host PC, using a different USB port on the PC, and using a different USB cable for the Jetson flashing port? Do you have a USB hub between your PC and Jetson; if so, perhaps try connecting Jetson directly to your PC.

Finally, perhaps if you run the following command it will give us more clues what is failing, although the failure is so early on this may not help:

sudo bash -x ./flash.sh jetson-tx2 mmcblk0p1

… and then send us the output from that command.

@stephen there is nothing wrong with the USB cable (and not using a hub). If I just boot the tx2 up, the USB Ethernet appears … I think the scp fails when in recovery mode … how should the host networking be configured?

Hi nick,
It’s fine and preferable to flash without a hub. We just want to understand the environment. USB cable sometimes does make difference. It’s not barely metal. At least I met similar issue before, i.e., couldn’t flash manually, and changing a usb cable finally solved the issue.

@edward it’s talking when not in recovery mode over the USB cable … am not using a hub… I do have a rtx2080 with latest cuda/cnn on that machine… the scp command isn’t working, that’s why I keep asking about network configuration. How can we determine that the network is set up correctly before the flash command?

So it seems that I also have this exact same issue.
I have a laptop running Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS and after a successful flash to my TX2 using sdkmanager, it fails to load the sdk components.
I believe it is failing as the USB network on the host machine is missing.
On the TX-2 if i run ip addr, i get an l4tbr0 with an ip of 192.168.55.1
On the host machine if i run ip addr, i only have the ethernet connection.

The frustration is that i upgraded the laptop to 18.04 from 16.04 as the 4.2 jetpack would only run on 18.04…

any advise on how to get the usb network interface running on the host ??

Hi nick, aschofield,
Both Ubuntu 16.04 and 18.04 host environment are supported to run JetPack.
After Jetson device is flashed and booted, usb-device mode is automatically up and running, it is expected that

1. 192.168.55.1 is assigned to jetson device
  2. 192.168.55.100 is assigned to one of the usb-ethernet port on host machine.

For your issue, if I understand correctly, 192.168.55.100 is not assigned to your host, only 192.168.55.1 is assigned to TX2. Please use below workaround.:

1. Manually run “sudo ifconfig 192.168.55.100”, make sure you can ssh connect to 192.168.55.1 with this ethernet port.
  2. Continue with the JetPack installation.

Manually run “sudo ifconfig 192.168.55.100”, make sure you can ssh connect to 192.168.55.1 with this ethernet port.

so net tools isn’t installed by default on 18.04 so i installed that.
then i ran the above cmd and i get “usb-thernet-port: no such file or directory”

then i thought that maybe refers to the interface name, so i tried u-e-p without the <> and i also tried l4tbr0 and both options gave me " SIOCSIFADDR: No such device"

what else should i try ?

@edward sorry your posts aren’t helping me… it’s getting really frustrating. The flash is failing on the scp command per previous logs uploaded. It’s not getting past there … can you please provide an example netplan configuration for Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS… or arrange for the appropriate skilled person in Nvidia to do so

Hi aschofield,
The should be replaced by the actual usb-ethernet port name on your host machine (PC, not jetson device). On different host machine, the port name varies. For example, on my machine, its name is “usb0” or “usb1”; on other people’s machine, it may be “enp0s20u1i5” or something else. You could try to unplug then plug the usb cable, and use “ip addr” command on HOST machine to compare what port names are changed, to find out the actual usb-thernet port name on your machine.

@edward we need a Netplan configuration example please … you’ve been describing things for Ubuntu 16.04 not Ubuntu 18.04… I mentioned previously how networking is configured has changed between releases

@edward How To Configure IP Address In Ubuntu 18.04 LTS - OSTechNix

nick,
The scp error you saw before flashing can be safely ignored. Please make sure you can manually flash the Jetson device first. https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1048660/jetson-tx2/i-can-t-install-jetpack-4-2-sdk-on-my-tx2/post/5327769/#5327769
If manually flashing also fails, you may need change a usb cable or usb port to see whether it solved your issue.

Hi Edward,

Its as though the host machine is not seeing the TX-2 via usb as a network device.

If i do a dmesg | grep “usb#” where the # is 1 through to 10 i do not get any nvidia device.
I only get a xHCI host controller or EHCI host controller.
I have looked through dmesg and cannot find a usb network device.

Is there another way we can install the sdk components on the TX-2 ? via apt ?

Hi aschofield,
On some machine, the usb-ethernet port name may not contain any “usb”, such as “enp0s20u1i5”. You can find out the port name with below steps:

1. Power on Jetson device, make sure it is started up and you can see Ubuntu desktop in HDMI output.
  2. Make sure usb cable is NOT connected between Jetson device and host.
  3. Run “ip addr” command in terminal on HOST machine.
  4. Connect usb cable between host and Jetson device.
  5. Run “ip addr” command in terminal on HOST machine again.
  6. Compare the difference of the output between step 3 and step 5. The expected result is that in step 5, “ip addr” command should list two additional ports than in step 3. Either port can be used as name.

@edward we’ve been over and over and over this …, you are missing something fundamentally in your understanding where people are stuck. Please escalate so we can get this fixed. There is a real problem with the Nvidia software. Thank you

1 Like