Jetpack on Jetson TX2 - cannot run CUDA samples

Hello,

I am a bit new to using embedded devices, so I apologize in advance if I miss any important information in this post. I just installed Jetpack on my Ubuntu 16.04 machine and flashed the OS on my Jetson TX2. I believe everything worked properly as I didn’t receive any errors on the screen. However, when I tried to compile and run the CUDA samples, there is no makefile found in the folder.

I am currently following this installation guide:
https://docs.nvidia.com/jetson/archives/jetpack-archived/jetpack-33/index.html#jetpack/3.3/install.htm

I made sure to check in the folder named “NVIDIA_CUDA-9.0_Samples”

Does this mean that the device wasn’t flashed properly? Is there any way to check if the setup was done correctly?

I am unsure about samples which are missing, but JetPack is a front end to the driver package (which does flashing) and to package management. If you are uncertain as to what is installed, then run JetPack again…but uncheck the flash step and only install packages. Note that in some cases install of samples might want to build those on the host (cross compiling), and removing of some software from the host might prevent some software from being added to Jetson (but so far as I know that is only for steps which want to do a live cross compile).

Flash is probably correct. You can verify on the Jetson via seeing if all are “ok” from “sha1sum -c /etc/nv_tegra_release”.

If you can run “nvcc --version” from terminal, that would let you know that CUDA Toolkit has most likely been installed OK.

Generally I like to build the deviceQuery sample first and check the GPU properties. Try this:

cd /usr/local/cuda/samples/1_Utilities/deviceQuery
sudo make
./deviceQuery

@linuxdev

I ran the command that you mentioned and the flash was correct. It seems to be a problem with installation of the packages on the Jetson TX2. When running the installation process, this time I got a screen that says:

dpkg-query: package 'cuda-toolkit-9-0' is not installed and no information is available
dpkg-query: package 'libfreeimage-dev' is not installed and no information is available
dpkg-query: package 'libopenmpi-dev' is not installed and no information is available
dpkg-query: package 'openmpi-bin' is not installed and no information is available
Use dpkg --info (= dpkg-deb --info) to examine archive files,
and dpkg --contents (= dpkg-deb --contents) to list their contents.
Error: CUDA cannot be installed on device. This my be caused by other apt-get command running 
on device when installing CUDA. Plese use apt-get command in a terminal to make sure the 
following packages are installed correctly on device before continuing:
cuda-toolkit-9-0 libgomp1 libfreeimage-dev libopenmpi-dev openmpi-bin

When I switch to the Jetson to install these packages, the first two packages install fine but the others cannot be found.

Update: I re-installed the packages and continued with the install and this time the make file appeared and I was able to compile and run the samples.

Thanks everyone!