Jetson AGX Xavier[no display/not booting]

I just unboxed a Jetson AGX Xavier, I turned it on as usual and set all needed settings like language, keyboard etc. It was freshly opened from the box and has a default OS which I am not sure why, I was expecting it to be like Jetson Nano where i need to create an image first.

I was aiming to install Jetpack 4.4 but sadly the default was 4.2. when I was trying to update it i used ubuntu 16.04 as host machine and selected the 4.4 version on the SDK Manager.

some things I like to mention:
1.) There is no tutorial on how to use the new SDK Package manager and it is very difficult to use as steps are not shown when to connect stuffs.
2.) I have installed everything perfectly however when I restarted my machine nothing has changed.

What I did:
I decided to try and update it without the SDK package manager and followed some instructions with lines of codes provided. I think I erased the current installed OS however I accidentally restarted my machine without installing anything yet.

Problem:
Now when I power on my machine its not able to show any display on screen.
the power led lights up but nothing happens after that. No matter how I want to avoid to use the SDK manager(very inconvenient app) I tried using it anyway but It can no longer detect my machine (Jetson AGX Xavier)

Question:
1.) What should I do now? is my machine now completely useless?
2.) Is there a way to fix it? since i only used it like 3 hours and boom broken.(I blame the poorly design SDK manager)[sorry to say but should have more detailed how to use document before releasing such app]

HI,

1.) What should I do now? is my machine now completely useless?
2.) Is there a way to fix it? since i only used it like 3 hours and boom broken.(I blame the poorly design SDK manager)[sorry to say but should have more detailed how to use document before releasing such app]

No need to panic. Nothing is confirmed damaged.

In such case, you need to re-flash your board. Re-flash board does not need an alive OS on machine.
I guess you are totally fresh to jetson platforms because you don’t even know how to flash the board, right?

If so, please refer to the

Quick start guide in this link.

You could refer to any of them because what you need to do is put your device to enter the recovery mode.
If you cannot find how to enter recovery mode, just follow the step here

1. Ensure that the developer kit is powered off.
	2. Press and hold down the Force Recovery button.
	3. Press, then release the Power button.
	4. Release the Recovery button.

If you don’t know where is the button, then probably you need to read development kit user guide first.

After enter board to recovery mode, connect the typeC cable between host and device. Then press “lsusb” on your host, you shall see “nvidia corp” on the list. If you don’t see it, then please check if the device is in recovery mode again.

If you can see it, then please run sdkmanager to flash it.

There are still some methods that could save more time. But I guess you should at least run the whole steps first.

I am quite confused with your guides,
because there is a part where it asks for my Jetson IP and username and password,
and literally before that line in the guide, it says make sure that my Jetson AGX Xavier’s Ubuntu OS is up and running.

should I just ignore that part?
really the SDKManager is not very user friendly.

Hi,

There are two parts in sdkmanager

1. Flash the board.

In this part, there is no “Jetson IP and username and password” because there is no OS running. What I was talking about is this part. After this part is done (successfully), device could boot up and then there is IP.

1. Install the SDK component

In this part, something like CUDA and TensorRT will be installed by Ethernet connection. You have to make sure this OS is already running here.

These two parts could be done separately. That is why SDKmanager let you choose “Jetson OS” or “Jetson SDK Components”.

really the SDKManager is not very user friendly.

Some people think such GUI method is user friendly while some others think using command lines are friendly.
I would say it depends on your definition.

There are still other methods to flash your board.

For example, I always post this wiki to users who need more help in debugging their board.
https://elinux.org/Jetson/General_debug

I entered the reboot command at Ubuntu Terminal, but the screen went off and didn’t turn on again. I tried unplugging and plugging the power cable and pressing the button, but the power light comes on, but the monitor screen does not come out. It is not a monitor power issue. What should I do?

File a new topic for yourself. This old one has been one year ago.