Jetson Nano 2GB First Installation - Pure Black Background

Hi All,

I have purchased a jetson nano 2gb and did the all steps for installation. When I start the jetson nano after install the ubuntu , there is no nvidia green background displayed on desktop wallpaper. Also, it start with Desktop Env Error for first time after I restart the linux , error wasnt there but my background still pure black.

Also, ubuntu updated itself and still has same issue. I dont know what went wrong really.

Thank you for the comments.

Regards
Atlas

Is your monitor purely HDMI without any VGA adapter? VGA is not supported, and it sounds like a video configuration issue.

Note that you should probably have the HDMI monitor and keyboard attached as you flash (if you flash using JetPack/SDKM), or simply prior to power up if you use an SD card image.

If you really want to know what is going on, then you’d want to see a serial console boot log (which has no video or network dependencies). See:
https://www.jetsonhacks.com/2019/04/19/jetson-nano-serial-console/

There are some debugging tips here:
https://elinux.org/Jetson/General_debug

Hi Linuxdev,

Thank you for the answer.

I am not using any VGA adapter. Its a brand new display which has HDMI cable actually.

I will test with plug on off the HDMI and maybe reinstall the ubuntu. BTW, i have maximum resolution 1920*1080. Is this normally maximum we can set ?

Thank you

Hi,

There are few items to check

1. You need to dump the log as linuxdev shared in comment#2 so that we can find out what happens.

2. There is a known issue for jetson-nano-2GB device to have blanked screen after running apt-get update/upgrade. This is the thread.

But since you said the monitor is not showing anything even before update, you should still dump the log for us to check. I mean you should restore to pure/initial image which is before update and share us the log.

1920x1080 is definitely supported over a large range of scan rates. This “modern” aspect ratio is well supported. Depending on the device you are likely to find support for higher resolution monitors as well, so any “ordinary” monitor supporting 1920x1080 should not be an issue.

If you wanted different resolutions, then it would depend almost entirely on whether the monitor reports that resolution via the EDID data as a regular mode (interlaced and extension modes are not supported via EDID). Once you have the boot logs and we get at least 1920x1080 working it should be possible to examine some logs or tools and know what other modes you might select with that particular monitor.