Laptop recommendation for IsaacSim

Hi.

I am using IsaacSim on a workstation environment with Ubuntu18.04.

Currently I need a high-performance mobile workstation (laptop) capable of IsaacSim, so I’m going to buy one.

Recently, I tried to build the same environment on a dell alienware x15 r1 (rtx 3070), but the installation failed due to a graphic drive problem.

I would like to ask if you can recommend a laptop that can run Isaacsim, which is used by nvidia isaacsim developers.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Suyoung.

Hi have you tried installing the NVIDIA .run drivers? This page could help you troubleshoot some problems.
https://docs.omniverse.nvidia.com/prod_launcher/prod_kit/linux-troubleshooting.html
I think most Dell laptops have good Linux support but not sure about the Alienware series.

Personally, I am using a Razer Blade 15. New devices and OS maybe have some incompatibilities but some issues may get resolved after awhile or workarounds could be found since Razer has a good Linux community too.

Here’s a list of laptops with NVIDIA GPU: https://store.nvidia.com/en-us/studio/store/?page=1&limit=9&locale=en-us&category=Studio-Laptop
Here’s a list of laptops which are Ubuntu certified: Certified hardware | Ubuntu

Thank you for your kind reply !

Actually I installed graphic driver(version 470 or 495) for my mobile workstation, dell X15 r1(RTX 3070 laptop), and I can check the result as below.

However, the target program doesn’t work after ‘sudo reboot’

It might the linux kernel cannot recognize my gpu, but I really don’t know how to fix this problem.

I already delete and reinstall ubuntu18.04 many times, and graphic drivers as you comment or other ways.

Is there any way to fix this problem ?

Thank you !

I solved this problem with these additional commands below.

1. Connect my laptop to an external monitor
  2. sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm
  3. sudo prime-select nvidia
  4. sudo reboot

thank you !

2 Likes

so any types of laptop mentioned in the lists are compatable for running issac simulator ?

can i use/buy a laptop with GPU of RTX 3060 and a RAM of only 16GB ,and almost 512GB SSD , then run issac and generate images (100 frame) with videos and rendering an objects with such a specifications?

looking forward for your reply
thanks

Yes. Any laptop with an RTX GPU should be able to run Isaac Sim on Windows. However, it also depends on your use case. Running more demanding simulation/larger scenes requires a more capable CPU and GPU.

For running on Linux, check with the laptop manufacturer on installation options and support from users.

Please take a look at our requirements.

this is may be missing the point but thinking outside the box a cheaper solution is to remote into your desktop from a burner laptop perhaps $100? - using something like nomachine (linux, windows compatible) https://www.nomachine.com/ on your home desktop using port forwarding on your router gives you access to a much more powerful GPU and video ram than ever will be possible even with a high spec laptop and of course you arent wasting battery cooling the gpu. the main thing is to get a laptop with high enough resolution and screen size to work on - something like at least 1920x1080 and 17 inches

no machine client even runs on android and I can work remotely on Isaac Sim from my samsung S9 Fe 10.9 inch tablet with an external keyboard and mouse. It has a resolution of 2304 x 1440