Mac OS X 10.5.7 - unable to instal

Unable to initialize CUDA.
CUDA Visual Profiler device features will be disabled.

And that`s about it.
I have downloaded the software from Nvidia homepage, installed, also installed that cudaprof(iler) - and nothing.
tried some steps highlighted in other topics here, like
export PATH=<toolkit_install_path>/cuda/bin:$PATH
and it returned:
-bash: toolkit_install_path: No such file or directory
:(

[quote name=‘claddagh’ date=‘Jun 29 2009, 10:57 AM’ post=‘559155’]

Unable to initialize CUDA.

CUDA Visual Profiler device features will be disabled.

And that`s about it.

I have downloaded the software from Nvidia homepage, installed, also installed that cudaprof(iler) - and nothing.

tried some steps highlighted in other topics here, like

export PATH=<toolkit_install_path>/cuda/bin:$PATH

and it returned:

-bash: toolkit_install_path: No such file or directory

:(

And YES - I did check the kext installation box in custom install…

<toolkit_install_path> between angle brackets mean “substitute this for wherever you intalled the toolkit”, in my case /usr/local (the default chosen by the toolkit install package). So the command should read, after the substitution:

export PATH=/usr/local/cuda/bin:$PATH

and you should place this command also in your ~/.bash_profile file; if none exists, create one.

Do I replace ~ with some directory, too? Like: andy/.bash_profile file ? Is this how it supposed to look like? And is the “file” required to be placed at the end of it? Where would it be best to create that file?

THANKS!

Andy

~ is a standard unix abbreviation for “your home directory”, and it does not need to be replaced with anything.

The “file” at the end of my statement was English not unix; the file you must edit or create is called

~/.bash_profile

If you need help editing a unix text file with vi or emacs you shall need to get a unix primer textbook or something like that.

m

Unfortunately the above file directory cannot be created, as files/directories starting with a “.” are reserved for the System and it does not allow creation of such.

When tried to enter the "~/.bash_profile " into Terminal - nothing happened.

So - is there any simple solution for installing CUDA on iMac Intel based computer?

Thanks - Andy

Sorry Andy, but you’ll really need a modicum of unix command line knowledge to get much further.

Of course the system allows creation of files beginning with dot; if you open textedit, you move to “make plain text” and try to save a file whose name begins with a dot, it will tell you, as you state, that files beginning with a dot are reserved for the system. AND THEN IT GIVES YOU THE OPTION of doing it anyway, or cancel. You just need to click on “do it anyway”, which I think is called “use .”.

But instead let’s make this quick and be done with it. Copy and paste the following lines VERBATIM onto your console. They will create the .bash_profile file, put the relevant lines inside, and then source it to incorporate the environmental variables into your current running shell.

cd ~

cat >> .bash_profile <<eof

export PATH=/usr/local/cuda/bin:$PATH  

export DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/cuda/lib:$DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH  

eof

. .bash_profile

You can verify that it created a good file by editing it

open .bash_profile

should now open it onto textedit.