Missing CUDA drivers for ppc64le on RHEL9

Hello,

CUDA and NVIDIA-Drivers seems to be missing on ppc64le for EL9. Index of /compute/cuda/repos/rhel9

What happened? We have an IBM POWER9 AC922 system with 4x V100 and we could not upgrade to EL9 due to the missing drivers.

Does the drivers were discontinued or this is a temporary issue? Any workaround?

Thanks.

CUDA 12.4.0 deprecated support for Power architecture support in CUDA. See here.

It was still supported in CUDA 12.4.1, but only on RHEL8. See here

Support was evidently removed in CUDA 12.5.0. See here.

I’m not aware of any workarounds to use CUDA on RHEL9 on ppc64le

To continue using the GPUs on that system, I suggest you remain on RHEL 8.9 or lower, and use no later than CUDA toolkit 12.4.1

1 Like

I @Robert_Crovella. Thank you for the reply.

That’s sad news because the support was ended before the lifecycle of the machine.

I do understand that NVIDIA may have its reasons for it, but there’s any chance to at least certify the drivers for RHEL 8.10? Why 8.10? Because it’s the latest version of EL8 and it should be available until the end-of-life of EL 8.10. It’s really unfortunate to have CUDA only certified up to EL 8.9, which is no longer supported by Red Hat.

Thanks.

If you simply want to get things up and running on RHEL 8.10, you could try using the runfile installer option for CUDA 12.4.1.

If you’re asking for formal support from NVIDIA, I suggest contacting the source where you purchased the system, or you could file a bug.

1 Like