Missing lcuda + no device Latest driver + SDK 1.1 creating trouble

I have a Fedora 8, 2.6.23 x86_64 kernel (eventually need to use Xen 2.6.18 Fedora 8) running on an Intel Xeon quadcore and I have installed NVIDIA driver from the site using the NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-173.14.09-pkg2.run (latest available from nvidia). The graphics card is e-GeForce 8800GTX. I had some previous installations but I manually erased the files I thought could be left over before installing the driver (the driver is supposed to take care of this though). X server started correctly. Then I installed the toolkit using NVIDIA_CUDA_Toolkit_1.1_Fedora7_x86_64.run (couldnt find Fedora 8) as root and NVIDIA_CUDA_SDK_1.1_Linux.run as normal user.

Now compilation of project samples stops in between due to missing -lcuda (which I could not find anywhere on my system). I had read in the earlier posts that the newer drivers were supposed to install it but that doesnt seem to have happened.

That being one problem, now ./deviceQuery returns the following:

[font=“Courier”]There is no device supporting CUDA.

Device 0: “Device Emulation (CPU)”
Major revision number: -1
Minor revision number: -1
Total amount of global memory: -1 bytes
Total amount of constant memory: 65536 bytes
Total amount of shared memory per block: 16384 bytes
Total number of registers available per block: 8192
Warp size: 32
Maximum number of threads per block: 512
Maximum sizes of each dimension of a block: 512 x 512 x 64
Maximum sizes of each dimension of a grid: 65535 x 65535 x 1
Maximum memory pitch: 262144 bytes
Texture alignment: 256 bytes
Clock rate: 1350000 kilohertz

Test PASSED

Press ENTER to exit…[/font]

I cannot run any of the examples that have compiled.

I have read the previous posts and tried changing grub menu etc. but nothing seems to help. I ultimately need to install and get this to work in Xen3.2.1 based kernel. So please help me out with a plain kernel so I can move to Xen.

Xen is not supported with CUDA.

If you’re using a Xen enabled kernel, that would explain the current problem.

No, right now I am working on a simple non-Xen kernel. I tried using an older version of the driver which had a patch for Xen but that did not work because of similar issues. So I moved to a non-Xen kernel to see if it worked there. No luck still :(

Never mind. My bad. Did not notice that CUDA currently works only with the 169.09 driver. Now need to make it work with a Xen patch. Any inputs?

I have the same problem for my 8800 GTX on 173.14.09

At least with drivers 169.12 and 173.14.05 all works properly, but not found any CUDA device with 173.14.09

uname -a
Linux michael7 2.6.24-1-amd64 #1 SMP Sat May 10 09:28:10 UTC 2008 x86_64 GNU/Linux

No installed any ‘Xen’ versions of kernel. All OpenGL applications works normally.

@vishakha,
I’m not clear how you determined that CUDA only works with 169.09, as that is definitely not true.

@Michaelms77,
If this problem persists with 177.13, please generate and attach an nvidia-bug-report.log, and confirm that you’ve installed the 32bit compatibility packages that ship with the OS.

@netllama,
I tried suggestion, there is no problem with 177.13: a CUDA device found and CUDA programs works properly. So, may be this is only 173.14.09 bug.

177.13 replaces all older drivers.