Moire issues on RTX Real-time renderings

Hello all you OV rendering wizards!

Here you can see the 4k / 60 frm sec RTX Real-time render with the DLLS set on “Quality”. All other possible setting like amount of samples were cranked to max but no help.

You can clearly see some really bad moire patterns on the wall.’
Next thing to try is to render this with DLAA.

The DLAA way did not gave better results. I am 90% sure that raising the sample values like reflection samples to max, it would not help anything since I already tried that in the above DLSS render.

As far as I see, one option is to render this with path-traced but I am not going to go that way since I focus now only on realtime renders, it leaves me the only option to replace the reflective material.

But that gives me a new problem, if I finetune this scene and replace materials, how can I use this environment in our Stage by Cineshare product? Since the license of these Nvidia Omniverse official environments lets me to use these in commercial product, but it does not allow users to download these assets from my product - I am not allowed to share them. Does this mean that Stage customers have to also storage & render out animations in Stage ( cloud service run at Infinite Compute )?
@edmar1 any comments on this?

You see my original plan was to make optimized render settings for these environments with CC characters talking and interacting inside these environments, and let users to download the animated USD characters + Composer scene lights + render settings - and then just replace the Nvidia environment with their own localhost version. This way I could have followed the Nvidia license rule not the share these assets. But now it looks like they just do not render without moire issues in RTX Realtime and I have to modify the materials…

1 Like

Hi @pekka.varis , I had the same exact problem with moire patterns after switching to Real Time from PT. The speed difference is incredible but unfortunately, in some situations the gap in realism is very present… I am working on a post to highlight all those differences with hope that soon developers will manage to get closer to PT.

2 Likes

@karol.osinski Super! good to know we are both working on this!!

1 Like

First of all, moire issues have always been part of any rendering engine, especially real time. It is usually solved with rendering at a specific distance from the texture, or at a specific resolution. It is just pixel ratios between the pixels of the texture and the pixels of the final image. Realtime is more challenging for sure. I would suggest you either increse the repeat size of the texture or replace the image with something that does not create moire.

Second, as for licensing, I can check on the specifics, but as a good general rule for any business, if you are wanting to create a product, free of licensing issues, source all the materials yourself. If you need enviroments, you are better of creating them from scratch or buying them with very specific wide commercial use. Whilst our software is licensed for free, re-distrubuting our content like this may be a problem.

so I changed the textues on worst moire sources:

Much better, next I work with the flashing lights.
I CyberCity scene to solution was to reduce the emission of the light mesh…
Lets see it that works here also!

Ok, I replaced the native OV lights at the roof with cube objects with emissive material.

Flickering is solved!

Next issue is the noise on reflections here:

@Richard3D do you have any tips for that issue?

1 Like

Firstly the material is very shiny and has no bump texture. You could take down the glossiness and add a bit of texture to break that up.

Secondly, assuming this is realtime rendering, try lowering the GI light intensity and add in more AO light intensity.

Thanks! I think I got it better with these tweaks…
But for this Gold I find it material difficult to add bump map with a strong effect.

However I tried to use some other material and aged copper gave me nice combination of rough surface + reflections.

I would say moire and flickering issues are solved now!

But how can I manipulate the brightness and color tint of this material?

1 Like

If I were honest, I think the whole scene is too dark. You need to increase the exposure and add some AO Lighting Intensity.

1 Like

Hey, I made it brighter :)

@Richard3D how do feel about this, does it make justice now to the original path traced optimized Restaurant scene? I am happy with this look, next I bring in CC character with realtime SSS skinshader …

How about that darkening of the aged copper metal?
Should I create a new topic for that?

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.