Nvidia GTX 580 driver on Ubuntu 12

Hi all.

I am currently trying to get my GPU running on Ubuntu and I am having difficulties after it got compiled.

When I first connected my Nvidia I faced with a screen full of display errors and I was not capable of compile the driver. Then I needed to run in failsafe mode but sometimes this mode did not help. The last time when the failsafe mode worked I compiled the 340.46 version for x86 architectures with ./nvidia-installer without any argument.
It seems that everything went well, despite some warnings, but I am having the same behaviors before driver compilation.
Do I forget something?

Thanks in advance,
Joao M.
build_intel_driver.log (320 KB)

There are compatible drivers in the repository for this card. You should use those.
In the Software Center there should be tab called “Additional Drivers” you select nvidia-current from there. If you want newer drivers you could upgrade to the latest version of Ubuntu or use one of the PPAs that tracks the latest driver releases. You’re only setting yourself up for trouble if you install the driver manually. You’ll have untracked files, which might clash with the packagemanager when you want to install the driver from the repo and if you update the kernel you have to make sure to rebuild it against the new kernel. Otherwise the desktop might not start up after a reboot.

Hi backout.

Thank you for your prompt reply.

Actually I started to install the ones that are in the repo.

Following your suggestion I installed the version 340.XX (on ubuntu 14) and it was not loaded until I used the modprobe and nvidia-xconfig commands. Now I do not see the previous screen render issues but I end up with a black screen. Searching in the logs I found the following issues:

• grep -Fn 'NVIDIA' /var/log/Xorg.0.log - (EE) NVIDIA(GPU-0): Failed to initialize DMA
  • cat /var/log/kern.log | grep nvidia - nvidia: module verification failed: signature and/or required key missing - tainting kernel
  • Any suggestion?

Thx in advance,
    JM.