Official driver 384.59 with GeForce 1050m doesn't work on openSUSE Tumbleweed KDE


I’ve got a brand new Lenovo laptop with GeForce 1050m. After installing openSUSE Tumbleweed and KDE desktop environment (with open source drivers), it worked well but the system gradually didn’t respond after startup. So I removed mesa-dri-nouveau and successfully installed official driver 384.59. When I configured with nvidia-xconfig and rebooted, X did not load and the whole screen kept blinking.

I have to use NetworkManager GUI to get online, so it is impossible to run via SSH. I’ll post a bug report tarball generated when using builtin drivers if it helps.

Any advice?

x-nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (91.3 KB)

It’s an Optimus system, you have to configure it to use PRIME:

In short, use a xorg.conf like this:

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "layout"
    Screen      0  "nvidia" 0 0
    Inactive       "intel"

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Monitor0"
    Modeline "1280x720_60.00"  74.48  1280 1336 1472 1664  720 721 724 746  -HSync +Vsync

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "intel"
    Driver         "modesetting"
    Option         "AccelMethod" "none"
    BusID          "PCI:0:2:0"

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "nvidia"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
    BusID          "PCI:1:0:0"
    Option         "AllowEmptyInitialConfiguration"

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "nvidia"
    Device         "nvidia"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    SubSection     "Display"
        Virtual     1920 1080

and set your DE to run this on startup:

xrandr --setprovideroutputsource modesetting NVIDIA-0
xrandr --auto

e.g. from GDM/Gnome, create two files optimus.desktop in /etc/xdg/autostart/ and /usr/share/gdm/greeter/autostart/ containing

[Desktop Entry]
Exec=sh -c "xrandr --setprovideroutputsource modesetting NVIDIA-0; xrandr --auto"

Here another user made a script to set everything up automatically on Debian:

To get rid of tearing, use kernel parameter


In case of Ubuntu, you might have to add a file in /etc/modprobe.d/ containing

options nvidia_XXX_drm modeset=1

with XXX being the major version of the installed nvidia driver.
After that, run

sudo update-initramfs -u

and reboot.

sudo cat /sys/module/nvidia_drm/parameters/modeset

should return ‘Y’ if done right.


Hello @generix :

Following your hint, I found an tutorial for Bumblebee on openSUSE website. Then I installed Bumblebee. Now it works.

Thanks a lot!