Orin Nano Failure After Read Checkpoint

Hello,

Trying to flash Jetpack SDK 6.0 onto my Orin Nano, and while it has been mostly a success, I am running into this error that I flat out do not understand.

Would anyone be able to direct me in the direction of how to solve this? It fails right after it reads the last checkpoint (or on a checkpoint)?

23:49:24.880 - info: NV_L4T_FLASH_JETSON_LINUX_COMP@JETSON_ORIN_NANO_TARGETS: tar: Read checkpoint 560000
23:49:26.116 - info: NV_L4T_FLASH_JETSON_LINUX_COMP@JETSON_ORIN_NANO_TARGETS: tar: Read checkpoint 570000
23:49:27.273 - info: NV_L4T_FLASH_JETSON_LINUX_COMP@JETSON_ORIN_NANO_TARGETS: tar: Read checkpoint 580000
23:49:28.725 - info: NV_L4T_FLASH_JETSON_LINUX_COMP@JETSON_ORIN_NANO_TARGETS: tar: Read checkpoint 590000
23:55:29.078 - info: NV_L4T_FLASH_JETSON_LINUX_COMP@JETSON_ORIN_NANO_TARGETS: Flash failure
23:55:29.083 - info: NV_L4T_FLASH_JETSON_LINUX_COMP@JETSON_ORIN_NANO_TARGETS: Cleaning up...
23:55:29.101 - error: NV_L4T_FLASH_JETSON_LINUX_COMP@JETSON_ORIN_NANO_TARGETS: [exec_command]: /bin/bash -c /tmp/tmp_NV_L4T_FLASH_JETSON_LINUX_COMP.starlight.sh; [error]: 128307 blocks
23:55:29.101 - info: Event: NV_L4T_FLASH_JETSON_LINUX_COMP@JETSON_ORIN_NANO_TARGETS - error is: [exec_command]: /bin/bash -c /tmp/tmp_NV_L4T_FLASH_JETSON_LINUX_COMP.starlight.sh; [error]: 128307 blocks
23:55:29.102 - info: NV_L4T_FLASH_JETSON_LINUX_COMP@JETSON_ORIN_NANO_TARGETS: 
23:55:29.102 - info: NV_L4T_FLASH_JETSON_LINUX_COMP@JETSON_ORIN_NANO_TARGETS: [ Component Install Finished with Error ]
23:55:29.102 - info: NV_L4T_FLASH_JETSON_LINUX_COMP@JETSON_ORIN_NANO_TARGETS: [host] [ 1.86 MB used. Disk Avail: 437.24 GB ]
23:55:29.102 - info: NV_L4T_FLASH_JETSON_LINUX_COMP@JETSON_ORIN_NANO_TARGETS: [ NV_L4T_FLASH_JETSON_LINUX_COMP Install took 14m15s ]
23:55:29.102 - error: command error code: 11
23:55:29.102 - info: Event: NV_L4T_FLASH_JETSON_LINUX_COMP@JETSON_ORIN_NANO_TARGETS - error code is: 1011
23:55:29.102 - error: NV_L4T_FLASH_JETSON_LINUX_COMP@JETSON_ORIN_NANO_TARGETS: command terminated with error
23:55:29.102 - info: Event: NV_L4T_FLASH_JETSON_LINUX_COMP@JETSON_ORIN_NANO_TARGETS - error is: command terminated with error
23:55:29.108 - info: Event: NV_L4T_FLASH_JETSON_LINUX_COMP@JETSON_ORIN_NANO_TARGETS - install ended - failure
23:55:29.108 - error: Session first failure occurred while Installing. Root cause component: NV_L4T_FLASH_JETSON_LINUX_COMP@JETSON_ORIN_NANO_TARGETS. Root cause error code: (1011: Failed to execute commands with GenericInstaller)
23:55:29.109 - info: Summary: NV_L4T_FLASH_JETSON_LINUX_COMP@JETSON_ORIN_NANO_TARGETS: Installation failed. 
23:55:29.117 - info: Event: Session before ended
23:55:29.118 - info: Stopping all currently running download services
23:55:29.118 - info: Stopping the download for:  https://developer.nvidia.com/assets/embedded/secure/tools/files/jetpack-sdks/jetpack-6.0-dp/Jetson_60_b52/./Jetson_Linux_R36.2.0_aarch64.tbz2

See log files:

SDKM_logs_JetPack_6.0_DP_Linux_for_Jetson_Orin_Nano_modules_2024-01-23_23-41-01.zip (178.3 KB)

Hi,

Please try these two workarounds:

Thanks for directing me to the post. So I did that and I get it to flash successfully, however there is no display out.

After the hardware initialization I see “[Ok] Sound Card” and then a boot to a constantly black screen.

What could be causing this display issue, no significant errors were presented on either process and it looked like it got to the boot loader stage?

Is the QSPI memory on the module flashed yet?
What can you get from serial console during booting?

So I flashed the QSPI memory with the given command:

sudo ./flash.sh -c bootloader/generic/cfg/flash_t234_qspi.xml --no-systemimg jetson-orin-nano-devkit-nvme internal

Which I assumed worked because I get to the hardware peripheral detection and initialization phase which I only ever saw when using Jetpack 5.0.

Unfortunately I don’t have a TTL on hand, so will try and give that information tomorrow. Just was wondering if you have seen the display out issue before.

Thanks for the help, I sincerely appreciate it.

Please get a TTL cable so we can further debug.
Information like “Oh! I got a black screen.” does not help at all.

Terribly sorry about that, what I meant by that was really just an indication if I made an error in flashing, I wasn’t presenting that as a debug response.

Here is the serial console output:

Of particular interest I think this part is:

[ 16.837219] Please complete system configuration setup on the serial port provided by Jetson’s USB device mode connection. e.g. /dev/ttyACMx where x can 0, 1, 2 etc.

I already flashed it, does this mean it didn’t succeed?

SerialConsoleOutputJetsonOrin.txt (108.5 KB)

So do you have access to display or not now?
The screen should show up a window for you to complete the system configuration.

Nope, that was the end of serial, and after the boot loader sequence it just sits on a black screen forever. The monitor seems to detect display out, but nothing loads.

https://docs.nvidia.com/jetson/archives/r36.2/DeveloperGuide/SD/FlashingSupport.html#skipping-oem-config
I forgot to ask that are you using a DevKit?

Yes, I am using a Orin Nano Devkit, does that change the calculus, do I need to run skipping the oem config before flashing?

At least you can login and check if drivers and other sort of things are working properly.

One more question:
Are you using a DP monitor or an HDMI monitor?
For Orin devices to work with HDMI monitors, please make sure you are using an active DP-HDMI cable, that is capable of converting the signal format.

Alright, I will try that to see if it works and hopefully take a look to see if there is anything with the distribution going wrong such as drivers as you said.

Are you using a DP monitor or an HDMI monitor?

Funnily enough I used a Display Port to VGA adapter, a DisplayPort to HDMI, and a DisplayPort to DisplayPort which all worked in the previous JetPack version so I doubt its the hardware, but I guess I will try shop around my university for other monitors.

Also I see the boot loader screen so something obviously does get outputted.

Perhaps the Developer Pack isn’t mature enough for my use case right now.

Reflashed everything, and surprise! It booted up with the screen.

For anyone having the read checkpoint error, with an NVME SSD for the Jetpack 6.0 Distribution:

(1.) $ sudo ./flash.sh -c bootloader/generic/cfg/flash_t234_qspi.xml --no-systemimg jetson-orin-nano-devkit-nvme internal

(2.) $ sudo ./flash.sh jetson-orin-nano-devkit-nvme internal

If you run into the same issue as I did try another flash.

Thanks for the help!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.