Poor performance when one display is rotated/inverted

Hi,

I have 2 different monitors (one LG 24’’ 4k 60hz and one AOC 24’’ QHD 144hz) both connected to the same GPU (RTX 2070 Super) via DP cables.

Because they have different heights for VESA mounts I use the LG upside-down so they can be aligned.

Whatever display manager I use (tried GNOME, KDE, XFCE), whatever display server (tried xorg and wayland) or distro (tried multiple ones) both monitors work pretty well until the point I setup my LG display as inverted (rotated 180°).

After rotating the display the output performance on it becomes extremally poor to the point that it becomes unusable, the mouse moves slowly, the windows becomes laggy, it’s like if after rotating the monitor starts to output the image in 5-7 fps. And it only happens in the rotated monitor and only if rotated, the image on the other monitor works as usual and as soon as you disable the rotation the display starts to work as normal again in the LG one.

I’m almost convinced this is a Linux specific Nvidia Driver issue as on Windows 10 rotating the display just works as well as with an old AMD card on Linux there is no problem too.

Does anyone have any similar setup and issues or can instruct me how to fix it? Also, googling similar situations it looks like this has been reported multiple times in multiple different scenarios since years and years ago.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Not trying to necrobump here but, I also don’t want to pollute the forum with new messages regarding this issue. Found another thread that was marked as solved but, issue persists here

I’m in the same situation here: 2 AOC 27 monitors, QHD 144Hz, and the one that is on portrait mode crashes even if a command that has a high level of verbose like for example hollywood is shown on such display.

I had no such problem if both monitors are in normal mode. This is the xrandr script I’m using to configure the monitors:
cat monitors.sh

#!/bin/sh
xrandr --output HDMI-0 --off --output DVI-I-2-1 --primary --mode 2560x1440 --pos 1440x1120 --rate 144 --rotate normal --output DVI-I-3-2 --mode 2560x1440 --pos 0x0 --rate 144 --rotate left --output eDP-1-2 --mode 1920x1080 --pos 4000x1480 --rate 144 --rotate normal --output DP-1-2 --off --output DP-1-3 --off

My setup here:

Host: ASUS TUF Dash F15 FX517ZR
Kernel: 6.1.8-arch1-1 
CPU: 12th Gen Intel i7-12650H (16) @ 4.600GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Mobile / Max-Q

While this laptop supports optimus, I’m running it on “full nvidia mode” while plugged in a power source.

I’m also not using the open-nvidia modules because it does not support NVENC for this GPU.

@nwildner the issue was not solved. It was marked as such and closed before the new release was made. They would not re-open it so I created a new issue here.
As noted, yes it’s the same problem on Nvidia desktop drivers. It’s been around since the beginning of Linux support and Nvidia seems unwilling or unable to fix it.
New issue link: Request to Re-Openvery-poor-framepacing-and-performance-when-using-xorg-rotation/178451 due to NOT being fixed in 32.7.1

Thanks for the extra info @theofficialgman .

Meanwhile I’m keeping the rotated monitor turned off because, while I could use prime to offload some of the demands to Nvidia, I get more frames per second while playing if I start on “fully nvidia mode” on Xorg when the laptop is plugged.