Problem with 174.55 driver on Vista64

I have a Dell D830 laptop with a Quadro NVS 140M. I am unable to get the CUDA 2.0 beta working on this computer.

I have installed the 174.55 driver, the toolkit and SDK. When running the deviceQuery sample, no CUDA hardware device is found, and the emulation device is used instead:

There is no device supporting CUDA.

Device 0: "Device Emulation (CPU)"

Major revision number:                         9999

Minor revision number:                         9999

Total amount of global memory:                 4294967295 bytes

Number of multiprocessors:                     16

Number of cores:                               128

Total amount of constant memory:               65536 bytes

Total amount of shared memory per block:       16384 bytes

Total number of registers available per block: 8192

Warp size:                                     1

Maximum number of threads per block:           512

Maximum sizes of each dimension of a block:    512 x 512 x 64

Maximum sizes of each dimension of a grid:     65535 x 65535 x 1

Maximum memory pitch:                          262144 bytes

Texture alignment:                             256 bytes

Clock rate:                                    1.35 GHz

Concurrent copy and execution:                 No

I have verified that the 174.55 driver is installed: the correct driver version is reported by Device Manager and dxdiag.

DirectX hardware accelerated rendering is working correctly, but the in addition to CUDA not working, hardware accelerated OpenGL rendering is not working either. OpenGL applications fallback to the GDI Generic device.

On Vista Business 64, the Beta 2.0a driver seems very buggy when I tested it with the game Everquest. There were flashing polygons and bad vertices (giant polygons). The driver kept failing and recovering repeatedly. The NVidia control panel is set to maximum quality (as it was before I updated the driver).

Update: I restarted my computer and set the graphics quality to application control from the NVidia control panel. Everquest now seems to be working fine. I am not sure whether it was the restart (following working with CUDA) or lowering the graphics quality.

-Mark Granger

Hello!

Have you used CUDA for windows xp before? So did ever CUDA worked on your machine? As I have Dell D630 and nvs135m but I never managed to make it work with cuda. Once in a while it happens that it runs correctly, but it is once from 100 times trying. Though for me it recognizes the card.

Thanks,
Peter