Problems in running JetPACK (SDKMANAGER 1.0.1.5538)

I recently procured NVIDIA JETSON AGX XAVIER hardware (or Jetson Module). I have some problem in executing the instructions in JETSON AGX XAVIER Developer Kit User Guide . I am able to install and run the SDKMANAGER on ubuntu-18.04 linux x86_64 Desktop.

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION:-
I face issues while executing the instructions in the section titled “HOW TO INSTALL JETPACK”. I put the system in forced recovery mode using these instructions:-
[

1. Connect the developer kit as described above. It must be powered off.
  2. Press and hold down the Force Recovery button. (Also Press and release Reset Button)
  3. Press and hold down the Power button.
  4. Release both buttons.
    ]
    I start the sdkmanager, and the Front USB-C connector is connected to my x86_64 Desktop. I am also able to see the Jetson module in the USB devices list on USB host:-

Bus 003 Device 016: ID 0955:7019 NVidia Corp.

PROBLEM FACED:- The step 04 (Summary Finalization) fails with the following error:-

Could not detect target hardware
Please make sure the target hardware is connected and is in recovery mode, choose OK and RETRY. I have retried with different USB-C Cables also, but there is no difference.

Please help.

-With regards,
Manik

The lsusb entry shows you completed those steps correctly. However, during a flash the USB will repeatedly disconnect and reconnect. If this is a VM, then a VM tends to lose USB during the reconnect. Is your host PC a VM?

NOTE: Sometimes unplugging and replugging the USB cable can help. If it is a VM, then you probably need to adjust the VM to wholly own that USB port.

Hi, thanks for your prompt reply. We are not using a VM. We are using Ubuntu desktop. I am attaching screenshot and video of the error. As you suggested, reconnecting USB did not help.

What you have looks correct. It shouldn’t just halt.

However, I’m wondering if the USB has other interactions. If the USB-C is connected to your PC, what shares this? To find out which root_hub and other items are involved run these commands, and then post the results:

lsusb -d 0955:7019
lsusb -t

The first one will give an idea of current bus/port numbers, and the second one will show the tree view.

If the tree has another device also sharing a root_hub, then it might be that you need to move around USB devices to give the Xavier its own root_hub (normally this isn’t true, but we’re testing).

Also, if there is an external USB3 HUB you can use (assuming that currently the Xavier is still plugged directly in to the front USB-C of your PC via the USB-C of the Xavier), then with no other devices on the external USB3 HUB, see if flash works/fails in the same way (sometimes an additional HUB changes quality of signal and might either fix or break something…let’s see what happens when a different USB chip is in direct contact with the PC).

keep in mind that usb-c port on Xavier that needs to be used for flashing is on the side where GPIO is located which has multiple pins,
also if your computer from that you are trying to flash has usb-c port it might be some specific port like for thunderbolt connection and you may be better off using USB-A 3.0 rather than usb-c at the Host PC

Hi,
The port for flashing system image is J512 port.

You may try the following steps:

Press Power button and release
Press Force Recovery button; keep pressing it
Press Reset button and release
Release Force Recovery button
$ lsusb

Dear All,
I have directly connected the USB-C of Xavier (front side) to the PC. My PC was Ubuntu-18.04-LTS. I reformatted it and changed it to Ubuntu-16.04-LTS… And everything works just fine without any other changes.

The individual sub-component installation is still not smooth, and I had to do certain things manually (apt-get update && apt-get -y upgrade) on Xavier, but that is besides the point. May be the user-guide needs rectifications:-

Page-1:
[Section]:- GETTING STARTED

Before using your developer kit, you must install JetPack. A Linux host computer is
required to run JetPack installer and flash the developer kit.
Minimum system requirements for the host computer: Ubuntu Linux x64 v16.04 or
v18.04
, a valid Internet connection and at least 23GB of disk space.

Page-7:

[Subsection]:- Download Installer to the Host Computer
Ubuntu Linux x64 Version 18.04 or 16.04

User Guide link:- “https://developer.download.nvidia.com/assets/embedded/secure/jetson/xavier/docs/jetson_agx_xavier_developer_kit_user_guide.pdf?utOkiPnfCDWGm7E48rMz4TAE2o3faciEWrgODEe-pfThdUHwYkogqI6PrEaRsWJEDVET6fuxnIOxmN-zaizZ0gXjQZqgWcLbOi58wghujJlUzr8XFrQxFg0ZDXiRnfAjRMAIXpdWGNoDMopUcCrOkOm0H-_X1UKTuCDObkKgMe52CL8yuJ-tQTqNF6CD2gq7h7It40Es9w

-With regards,
Manik