Problems with latest Jetpack v461

And just some more explanation and personal suggestion.

1. There is a QSPI-NOR flash on the jetson module which has the bootloader software. The reason why you can directly plug in a sdcard and boot from it is because there is such software on the QSPI. However, if the software on this device has something wrong, then “keep replacing sdcard” won’t really bring it back to life. Because they are totally on different devices. SDcard is the sdcard and QSPI flash is another device.

Under such case, only sdkm can flash the bootloader software back.

1. Actually, we suggest users to work with sdkmanager instead of only playing with sdcard image. For example, bootloader will be updated in each sdkm update, but sdcard image may not upgrade it.
    For example, since your module is A02 (gen1) board, the bootloader software on the module may be flashed by factory in 2019. And since you didn’t try sdkm, your bootloader version is still that old one.

So then we are back to my previous comment … update your documentation! Why are you even still publishing that SD card image download link if you know it won’t work?
I will now try the SDKManager… or most likely … just stay with 441 … life is too short…
You’re basically saying, you broke the bootloader in QSPI-NOR flash after 4.4.1 and if that’s not the case then post a new working SD card image…

As I said, things are not just either 0 or 1. It is not correct to reach a conclusion that sdcard image does not work.

My suggestion was if you “never” tried sdkmanager, then you can try it. Your bootloader is already the oldest version and we have made a lot of enhancement through later jetpack update. But if your bootloader was really too old and have some compatibility issue, then I can only suggest you try to upgrade it.

After jetpack4.5, after OS is on, our OS will copy bootloader from sdcard image to QSPI, so upgrading sdcard image will also upgrade the bootloader vesrion on QSPI. That is why sdcard image would work fine on most boards.

But if you are not able to reach jp4.5 or later release, then you probably need to try sdkm. I am sorry that some old bootloaders are not able to support later on jetpack software.

This stuff needs to be in your documentation … i’ll give SDKM a try … and report back…

Actually, boot from sdcard image is still a new feature in comparison with flash.sh(sdkm) which has been used for like couple of years. Thus, we are still enhancing it.
Sorry for your inconvenience.

And we have lots of document here. You can refer to them too.
https://developer.nvidia.com/embedded/linux-tegra-r3271
https://docs.nvidia.com/jetson/l4t/index.html

quote"Actually, boot from sdcard image is still a new feature in comparison with flash.sh(sdkm) "

Ok you lost me there … booting from SDCard image has been the way it worked from day 1 …

I think something here is lost in translation…

I mean actually flash.sh has been used for like 10 years before boot mechanism “boot from sdcard” is in use on jetson platform.

For example, flash.sh has been starting to use since maybe 2014 in TK1 era. But sdcard image just started to get used when jetson nano was published in 2019. So flash.sh(sdkm) is a more stable and complete way.

Tell me more about this QSPI-NOR bootloader you mention … is it ROM on the board? If not, how does one write to it?

Please refer to the document for the boot flow. Actually, there are multiple bootloaders involving in it.

https://docs.nvidia.com/jetson/l4t/index.html#page/Tegra%20Linux%20Driver%20Package%20Development%20Guide/bootflow_jetson_nano.html#wwconnect_header

And the method we provide to users to use is through the sdkmanager.

So all those download links to the SDCard images should be ignored?

If you think your bootloader software is dead and not able to recover, then yes. You can only use sdkm.

But as I said, we don’t know it unless the log is coming out.

My bootloader isn’t ‘Dead’ … it boots just fine for JP4.4.1 … as previously described here … but sure, I will let you know what I find out… thanks

1 Like

I had the same problem on Jetson nano 2gb, but solved.
You had better install 4.6 with wired-ethernet connection, before 4.6.1, and software update all, maybe that may include some firmware udates.
And then, reformat SD, and write 4.6.1 sd-image.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.