Raspberry pi v2 camera and Jetson Xavier NX

Hello all. I can’t seem to get my raspberry pi v2 camera connected to my Xavier NX. There have been several posts on this in the forums, but it seems no definitive answers. My cables are all plugged in correctly before boot up (I even got a fresh CSI cable just to make sure that wasn’t the problem!), and this is a more-or-less fresh install of the OS, though not a pristine done-today reinstall. See output of a hardware probe for the imx219 sensor below! Thanks in advance for any help!

dmesg | grep -e imx219
[ 1.975952] imx219 9-0010: tegracam sensor driver:imx219_v2.0.6
[ 1.999584] imx219 9-0010: imx219_board_setup: error during i2c read probe (-121)
[ 1.999842] imx219 9-0010: board setup failed
[ 2.000042] imx219: probe of 9-0010 failed with error -121
[ 2.000390] imx219 10-0010: tegracam sensor driver:imx219_v2.0.6
[ 2.023758] imx219 10-0010: imx219_board_setup: error during i2c read probe (-121)
[ 2.023991] imx219 10-0010: board setup failed
[ 2.024194] imx219: probe of 10-0010 failed with error -121

hello johnsmiscstuff,

may I know which Raspberry pi v2 camera you’re working with, for example, which sensor vendor it is?
please share the JetPack release version, please also confirm you’d correct connection of your flexible cable,
thanks

Hi Jerry, and thanks for your help! It’s a raspberry pi cam v2.1 (the official version).

The camera sure looks to be installed correctly, at least according to all the images I see of it on google. I’ve seated and reseated it about 5 times now. I reinstalled a brand-new, fresh version of the OS downloaded last night from the NVIDIA site.

I dunno exactly how to get the jetpack version, but here’s what I got from the DPKG readme (on this brand-new install):
Package: nvidia-l4t-core
Priority: standard
Section: libs
Installed-Size: 7399
Maintainer: NVIDIA Corporation
Architecture: arm64
Version: 32.4.4-20201016123640

hello johnsmiscstuff,

I could confirm that Raspberry Pi v2, IMX219 works on Xavier NX / JetPack-4-4 / l4t-r32.4.3,
could you please have a try to re-install JetPack release image with SDKManager to use previous release image for confirmation.
thanks

@ Johnsmiscstuff do you have it plugged into J1?

does /dev/video0 show up if you do?

hello johnsmiscstuff,

we had also confirmed the camera functionality with Raspberry Pi v2, IMX219 on Xavier NX / l4t-r32.4.4,
the camera functions is working, which has verified by using nvgstcapture-1.0, or gstreamer pipelines.

may I know has video node register to /dev/video0 after system boot up?
could you please gather full kernel messages for reference, i.e. $ dmesg > klog.txt
thanks

Jerry,
Thanks for your help on this! I’ve not had time to play with unit in last day or two but will try to work on this tonight! There’s no entry for /dev/video at all when I looked there the other night. Fresh install of the OS/jetpack.
Thanks!

hello johnsmiscstuff,

we’re looking forward your test results with previous JetPack release image.
if you still reproduce the issue, please gather full kernel messages for reference, i.e. $ dmesg > klog.txt
thanks

Well guys, I think I’ve figured out the problem. The camera is dead. I fired up an old raspberry pi I have laying around, and it can’t see the camera either. I have definitely plugged it in correctly. Bought the thing new, so not super happy about that, but .

Sooo. Anybody have any suggestions for a good rather inexpensive camera for the Xavier NX? I know there’s a whole partner program for this, but it’s filled with links to $1000 cameras. Which is…not in the budget. Like, just a USB webcam or something? I suppose I can go with another J13 or whatever, but I’m worried it got fried or something.

hello johnsmiscstuff,

there’s a list of cameras supported by Jetson Camera Partners on the Jetson platform.
please also contact with Jetson Preferred Partners for more details.

since USB cameras were follow general protocols, you may also connect other 3rdparty USB cameras to NX’s usb port for the usage.
FYI, please refer to Camera Architecture Stack, you can only enable v4l2src to access USB cameras.
thanks

We commonly use Logitech C270 and C920 for our tutorials/courses, like the Getting Started with AI on Jetson Nano DLI course and Hello AI World tutorial. The C920 is full 1080 and good quality for a webcam.

Hey, thanks! I picked up the C920! It works great! In fact, I think I just ran your repo with detectnet and it! Fun stuff!