Recover from "APX" mode

Hi there,

I have a Jetson TX2 which I am trying to flash according to the instructions here. It enumerates on the USB as:

Bus 001 Device 017: ID 0955:7c18 NVIDIA Corp. APX

and when I try to flash it, I get:

###############################################################################
# L4T BSP Information:
# R32 , REVISION: 5.2
###############################################################################
Error: probing the target board failed.
       Make sure the target board is connected through 
       USB port and is in recovery mode.

What are my next steps?

Ihab Awad

It is possible for a fully booted Jetson to show up with lsusb just like what you see. If it really is in recovery mode, then it should work (and perhaps it really is in recovery mode). Just to be certain, if you hold down the recovery button while either (A) powering up, or (B) resetting power, then let go of the recovery button (there is no time delay requirement), then it will be in recovery mode. If you are certain it is in recovery mode, then debug continues.

If your host PC is a VM, then the above happens a lot, and you’d have to correctly set up the VM to always pass through USB (USB repeatedly disconnects and reconnects during flash, and VMs often fail to pick up USB on reconnect).

If you are not using the supplied micro-B USB cable, but are instead using a charger cable, then about 80% of charger cables have insufficient quality to consistently work with data.

If the above are not an issue, then you might have a true hardware failure.

(post deleted by author)

Thank you for your help – swapping out the USB cable seems to have fixed it! Grateful for the quick response!!!

Ihab