Self made carrier for multiple USB web-cams?

Hi everyone,

I’ve looked at the schematics for the TX2 and I want to make a simple carrier which does this:

• powers on the board
  • streams 8 cameras using USB (longer distance than csi will probably allow).

I know that there are 3 USB-ss and 3 USB 2.0s (correct?)

In which case I’d like to do 2 USB 3/2 and then use usb hubs.

Then buy webcams and try it.

If I just wire the USB lanes on the module pinout to 4 USB ports and then power it on, is there any reason it shouldn’t work? I’m aware USB lanes also will need a few capacitors and resistors.

Mainly what I’m asking is do I need anything more than a power lane, 4 USB ports and a couple resistors/capacitors for each USB?

The dev kit makes me uneasy because it is quite a full-on set-up!

Thanks for any ideas,

Fred

Hi, I’m confused about "If I just wire the USB lanes on the module pinout to 4 USB ports and then power it on
", do you mean connect one USB port on module to 4 ports on carrier board directly (not through a hub)? If so, that’s a bad solution.

Hi,

No the idea is this:

I would like a carrier board with 4 USB ports.

I’ll take 4 USB ports and connect them to the USB pinouts as shown by the schematic.

I have seen there are 3x USB 2.0 and 3x USB 3.0 on the Tx2 Module. So the module has multiple USB ports that should be accessible.

It’s just a question of if there is a minimum pin connection requirement? Because so far I’m planning to have Power, Ground, 4 USB’s and that’s literally it.

P.s the issue with the doing it all through one hub is data throughput which could be an issue according to other posts. That’s why I’d prefer to use all the on-module USB ports.

As for the ports configuration, please refer to Jetson TX2 USB 3.0, PCIe & SATA Lane Mapping Configurations in OEM DG, there are several supported configs. For the pins of each ports, please also refer to the USB Connection Example in OEM DG, and yes the USB_SS port has Power, Ground, 4 data lines.

Thanks for pointing that out. I didn’t see those specific docs before.

Actually for the Power and Ground I’m speaking about the actual module.

In order for the module to switch on, does it only need the Power and Ground? No other peripherals?

Also - I’ve read that all I need for WiFi to work is antenna to be connected to the module (Internal wifi chip on the module). Is that true?

Sorry for seemingly stupid questions, but I just want to make sure I’m not missing anything because my carrier board is going to be super simple.

Thanks!

No peripheral needed for power-on, but there are some designs needed on carrier board, please refer to chapter POWER in OEM DG, any signal/timing related to power sequencing & power discharge is MUST. Antenna is MUST for the hardware that can make wifi work, no other device needed.

Interesting.

I can see the discharge circuit and the power-on circuits (with DC-DC converters) and these make sense.

Only issue is the sequencing - they don’t explain how they are achieving this? Is this done using the power-on circuit?

Let’s say I just supplied the module with these:

• VDD_19V_IN
  • VDD_IN
  • VDD_5V and 3V3 and 1V8

What would happen if I then just unplugged the 19V? This would be a really simple power on and power off, how likely is it to damage the module?

Thanks

Some timing in power sequence are controlled by circuit design on carrier board, the module only need VDD_IN supply, but if the power rail and sequence of carrier board are abnormal, that could cause some IO ports fail. Unplugging 19V would not cause damage as it is included in “uncontrolled power removal case” as said in OEM DG.