Timeline for JetPack on Ubuntu 16.04?

Hi,

When will Jetpack for Ubuntu 16.04 be available?

-Mark

Hi Mark,

The Ubuntu 16.04 root filesystem will be included in the next update. However at this time we can’t publicly release information about the timeline of future Jetpack/L4T releases.

I’m guessing your request is related to this post: [url]Serial communication issue - "Got overrun errors" - Jetson TX1 - NVIDIA Developer Forums

Can you elaborate on how 16.04 is related to the issue from the post linked to above?

Thanks,
Dusty

p.s. from your post, it’s not recommend to flash Jetpack from within a VM, which can cause freezing mid-flash.
Recommend running native Ubuntu 14.04 amd64 install on flashing machine, or from LiveCD.

Hi Dusty,

Indeed, most of my current struggles right now are related to that post, although the issue driving this post is that QT5 will not build on 23.2 or 24.1 32-bit, but it causes a segfault in the 64 bit 23.2 and 24.1 and I have to sort out why.

Because it takes so long to flash boards, and I have to flash multiple TX1s with 23.1, 23.2, and 24.1 both 32 bit and 64 bit, trying to keep machines running with installations becomes time consuming and problematic, (particularly when done through a VM). Trouble is, in order to dedicate machines to 14.04, it means that 16.04 work can’t be done on the same machines… So are we forced to purchase more hardware just to flash TX1 modules from native 14.04 machines? (That logic just seems like the wrong approach to life in general. :/)

I agree that using a VM is not recommended, which is the reason I want to be able to flash from 16.04. 16.04 is current LTS and what we use for all other development activity, so setting up a desk of dedicated 14.04 machines just to be able to flash TX1 modules seems kind of absurd.

The sooner the 16.04 Jetpack can be made available, the easier life will be to work with your hardware.

Thanks for your help!

-Mark

If all you want to do is flash, then using driver package+sample rootfs does not require Ubuntu, it only requires any x86_64 Linux (don’t use JetPack). I use Fedora.

A good chunk of the time spent flashing is building the system image. If you build an image once, and then reuse the image, things are much faster.

Thanks Linuxdev,

Agreed, I could save a great deal of time. I mostly was concerned with making sure that anyone else who was attempting to follow the same procedure could do exactly so. (For instance, as I understand you prefer Fedora, as NVIDIA recommends we use Ubuntu, it would be awesome if you did the same!)

-Mark

I checked 24.1 and Qt5 packages are in the Ubuntu aarch64 repo, or are you encountering the same issue when using those?

Although technically JetPack/L4T recommends using Ubuntu 14.04 LTS x86_64 for flashing, as linuxdev mentioned it might unofficially work from another x86_64 distribution. If Fedora works, go ahead and try 16.04 I’d say.

Also unsupported, flashing from a VM is likely to freeze during transfer (but may eventually succeed while using a short USB cable).
Sometimes I boot from LiveCD or USB stick from laptops in the field, that works OK (although live boots load slowly).

JetPack 2.2 does not “technically recommend” Ubuntu 14.04, it requires it.
When I try to run Jetpack 2.2, it detects my 16.04 OS, flags it as an error, and shuts down entirely.

JetPack fails to install rootfs package on Ubuntu 16.04 due to a wrong signature…

After hacking /usr/bin/lsb_release to register as 14.04, the install still failed on dependency conflicts for cuda-toolkit-7-0.