Ubuntu 16.04 Support for TX1

Hello,
I’ve been redirected from NVidia support to the forums in hopes that someone can provide me a quick and simple answer.

I’m having trouble finding information online about what release of Ubuntu (or a derivative thereof) runs on the TX1 module itself. It’s my understanding that a host machine for development using Jetpack should be running Ubuntu 16.04, but I would like to know if the TX1 module will run 16.04 as well.

I found some mention of it running 14.04 online, but wasn’t sure if that was legitimate or not.

Any information would be appreciated.

Cheers

Older releases for a TX1 were Ubuntu 14.04LTS, current is Ubuntu 16.04LTS. Note that these are sometimes referred to as “Linux for Tegra” (L4T)…L4T is just the original stock Ubuntu with direct hardware access libraries added (e.g., to take advantage of GPU). L4T R24.2.1 is the most recent version, and is Ubuntu 16.04LTS plus NVIDIA-specific hardware accel files.

The host used to flash a Jetson can be any x86_64 Linux desktop PC if flash is from command line. JetPack is a front-end, and can also manage packages, but requires the host to specifically be x86_64 Ubuntu 14.04. JetPack’s current version is 3, but does not directly install on the Jetson, so you’d still refer to the L4T version flashed to name what is on the Jetson (saying it is version 3 just mentions the installer and isn’t really what is on the Jetson).

On the Jetson itself you can see what L4T version it thinks it is via “head -n 1 /etc/nv_tegra_release”.

Thank you for the clarification, linuxdev.

–Marked as answered–