Ubuntu 20.04: Can load nvidia-drivers-360 but not nvidia-drivers-460

Hello friends,

I have recently acquired an RTX 3090 and am really stoked to do some calculations with CUDA. Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to boot after installing nvidia-driver-460 to work with the GPU. Boot fails, recovery mode fails, and I can’t access a command line to run the nvidia bug report script!

Hardware
Motherboard: ASUS PRIME Z590-V
CPU: i9-10900k
Software
Kernel: Linux 5.8.0-45

An Ubuntu install works fine until the drivers are installed.

Progess
After a few days of trouble-shooting, I found that taking out the 3090, putting my old GTX 1060 in the box, and installing an older set of drivers (nvidia-driver-390) DOES boot. However, nvidia-driver-460 still fails to boot with the 1060. This suggests the issue is some kind of incompatibility between driver-460 and the kernel or motherboard, or both? I know the 3090 is not dead because I used it successfully in a since-wiped Windows install the computer came with.

I have also tried booting with the other kernel available, 5.8.0-43, and that doesn’t work either.

Does anyone know what the problem might be, based on that description? Much thanks for any help!

I’ve attached the nvidia-bug-report log here from the working driver install, which may or may not contain some clues. I can’t access the command line with the non-working driver install, so I can’t attach that log. Sorry!
nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (155.2 KB)

There are currently update trobles with Ubuntu and the nvidia driver, please try updating Ubuntu and use the driver from the graphics drivers ppa.