Ubuntu 20.04 with GeForce GTX 1650 not booting after update to 510 driver, tried to revert and now no driver works

Hello, after the newer version of the Nvidia driver was released (510), I tried updating to to using the usual “Software and Updates” route. Upon rebooting, the computer hangs on a black screen which says

[ 10.916749] sep5_16: Driver loading…

However, the driver does not get loaded and the computer never continues the boot. I have seen other users in this forum having similar issues. For some of them, reverting back to an older driver seemed to work. However, now I am trying to revert to an older driver and I get the same issue regardless of which version I choose. Please see the attached log for an attempt at booting with an older driver.

nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (333.9 KB)

How should I proceed? Ideally I would like to be able to use the 510 driver, but getting any driver to work would be good now, since as of now my GPU is useless due to this issue.

Intel and Nvidia driver are working fine but you also have an DisplayLink driver installed which is broken and now keeps the Xserver from starting. Please uninstall that.

Thank you! This fix works. I have checked on DIsplayPort’s website and apparently their driver is not compatible with any proprietary Nvidia driver. It’s a shame that I need to choose between my dock and using the GPU on my laptop to its full potential…

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.