UE c++ project cannot compile with Omniverse UE connecter installed

I am testing Omniverse UE4 connector.
I installed the connector plugin to UE 4.25 successfully and launch the editor with a blueprint project OK.
However, when I tried to open C++ project it failed.(Which include my own plugins)
Creation of VS solution yield warning message like following

==========================================================
C:\Users\Hiro\Documents\UnrealProjects\MyProject>rem “D:\Unreal Engine\UnrealEngine4_20\Engine\Binaries\DotNET\UnrealBuildTool.exe” -projectfiles -project=“C:\Users\Hiro\Documents\UnrealProjects\MyProject\CyclopsHarvest421.uproject” -game -rocket -progress

C:\Users\Hiro\Documents\UnrealProjects\MyProject>“C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.25\Engine\Binaries\DotNET\UnrealBuildTool.exe” -projectfiles -project=“C:\Users\Hiro\Documents\UnrealProjects\MyProject\MyProject.uproject” -game -rocket -progress
Discovering modules, targets and source code for project…
Binding IntelliSense data…
@progress ‘Binding IntelliSense data…’ 0%
WARNING: Exception while generating include data for UE4Editor: Could not find definition for module ‘MDL’, (referenced via default plugins → MDL.uplugin)
@progress ‘Binding IntelliSense data…’ 50%
WARNING: Exception while generating include data for MyProjectEditor: Could not find definition for module ‘MDL’, (referenced via default plugins → MDL.uplugin)
@progress ‘Binding IntelliSense data…’ 100%
Binding IntelliSense data… 100%
Writing project files…
@progress ‘Writing project files…’ 0%
@progress ‘Writing project files…’ 33%
@progress ‘Writing project files…’ 67%
@progress ‘Writing project files…’ 100%
Writing project files… 100%

However it actually creates a solution file but when I try to compile the project, I see the following error message.

1>------ Build started: Project: MyProject, Configuration: Development_Editor x64 ------
1>Creating makefile for MyProjectEditor (.uproject file is newer)
1>UnrealBuildTool : error : Could not find definition for module ‘MDL’, (referenced via default plugins → MDL.uplugin)
1>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Community\MSBuild\Microsoft\VC\v160\Microsoft.MakeFile.Targets(46,5): error MSB3073: The command “C:\WINDOWS\System32\chcp.com 65001 >NUL
1>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Community\MSBuild\Microsoft\VC\v160\Microsoft.MakeFile.Targets(46,5): error MSB3073: “C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.25\Engine\Build\BatchFiles\Build.bat” MyProjectEditor Win64 Development -Project=“C:\Users\Hiro\Documents\UnrealProjects\MyProject\MyProject.uproject” -WaitMutex -FromMsBuild” exited with code 6.
1>Done building project “MyProject.vcxproj” – FAILED.
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

Do you know anything about this error?
Omniverse UE connector is limited to the Blueprint project only?

At the moment the UE4 Connector is limited to Blueprint only projects since we don’t distribute the plugin source. There may be ways to work around this by dropping it in after building and changing the .modules BuildIds values.

I will look into ways that code plugin projects could be used in coordination with our plugins.

1 Like

Thank you.
If we cannot extend UE with Omniverse it is so limited for real-world use cases.

Please keep us inform.

Hello, I have made a forum post about this too and have also talked to other NVIDIA employees about this issue. I have received a workaround from an employee which goes as follows:

• Change .uproject type to “Editor”. There are no standalone-executables yet.
  • The trick to get the result is building from source on github, without the Omniverse Folders.
  • Change the Buildid to 13144385 (in Engien\Build\Build.version
  • Then put the Omniverse-Folders back. The UE Build Tool should think that Omniverse is not there but is usable

Bear in mind that I have not production-tested this myself. I am working on RootSystem Visualization and my Institute is interested in Omniverse-driven in-situ visualization, which is sadly not possible right now. Especially the “scene repository” for Omniverse with USD seems promising.

Same here. This is quite limiting for us and will have to postpone our trials until this issue is resolved.

This is really disappointing. A workaround is not a satisfying solution and this issue severely limits the usefulness of Omniverse for us.

We understand that it’s disappointing and are working on a solution. Thanks for letting us know that you need the source to use the Unreal Engine Connector!

The Unreal Engine Connector update 101.1 includes source. You should be able to drop it into a project with any 4.24-4.26 engine and it will build.

1 Like