Unable to locate package nvidia-jetpack on Orin devkit

Hi. I’ve just got my hands on a Jetson AGX Orin devkit. I’m following the instructions in the setup guide, but when it comes to trying to install/upgrade jetpack, apt fails to find the package.

$ sudo apt install nvidia-jetpack
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package nvidia-jetpack

All the previous steps in the getting started guide worked fine (executing from the serial terminal). The Orin devkit appears to have come with L4T 34.0.1 preinstalled:

$ apt list nvidia-l4t-core
Listing... Done
nvidia-l4t-core/now 34.0.1-20220315011106 arm64 [installed,local]
1 Like

The apt sources appear to point at the NVIDIA repository:

$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/nvidia-l4t-apt-source.list
# SPDX-FileCopyrightText: Copyright (c) 2019-2021 NVIDIA CORPORATION & AFFILIATES. All rights reserved.
# SPDX-License-Identifier: LicenseRef-NvidiaProprietary
#
# NVIDIA CORPORATION, its affiliates and licensors retain all intellectual
# property and proprietary rights in and to this material, related
# documentation and any modifications thereto. Any use, reproduction,
# disclosure or distribution of this material and related documentation
# without an express license agreement from NVIDIA CORPORATION or
# its affiliates is strictly prohibited.

deb https://repo.download.nvidia.com/jetson/common r34.0 main
deb https://repo.download.nvidia.com/jetson/t234 r34.0 main

Hi andrew.mcdonald,

Please edit your nvidia-l4t-apt-source.list to r34.1:

deb https://repo.download.nvidia.com/jetson/common r34.1 main
deb https://repo.download.nvidia.com/jetson/t234 r34.1 main

Run below command to upgrade and install sdk components:
sudo apt dist-upgrade
sudo reboot
sudo apt install nvidia-jetpack

4 Likes

Great, thanks @carolyuu! It worked fine. Perhaps a note about this could be added to the setup guide?

1 Like

This is still not working for me. To summarize:
I do a sudo apt dist-upgrade - All OK
I do sudo apt dist install nvidia-jetpack
I get:
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done

I edited my nvidia-l4t-apt-source.list, and it now reads:

deb https://repo.download.nvidia.com/jetson/common r34.1 main
deb https://repo.download.nvidia.com/jetson/t234 r34.1 main

I do a sudo apt dist-upgrade
I sudo reboot
Then I sudo apt install nvidia-jetpack

I get:
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done

So applying this fix, I am still getting the error.
Thanks,
Paul McWhorter
www.toptechboycom

Hi @paul.mcwhorter, you might need a sudo apt update in there too after editing the sources list. Otherwise I think it won’t download the new package index. (Not in the original instructions there but I think I did it myself out of force of habit)

3 Likes

Andrew, an that worked! Thanks for the tip.

Hello, Can someone advice how to edit the nvidia-l4t-apt-source.list to r34.1. I have no clue what these things are.
It will be helpful if you can please provide a step by step guide with the code that i can copy into the terminal to get the edit done.
Many thanks for your support.

Check files under etc/apt/sources.list. If you want to know how this works, you can also search this over the Internet. This is how the apt tools work from ubuntu.

Hello, I have a new problem here. i followed your instructions like update to r34.1

And then it shows like below :

$ sudo apt install nvidia-jetpack
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 nvidia-jetpack : Depends: nvidia-cuda (= 5.0-b114) but it is not going to be installed
                  Depends: nvidia-tensorrt (= 5.0-b114) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

And i check my l4t version ,its # R34 (release), REVISION: 1.0, GCID: 30102743, BOARD: t186ref, EABI: aarch64, DATE: Wed Apr 6 19:11:41 UTC 2022

I dont know what to do now

Hi EzPizzy,

Looks some packages are broken on your device.
Please use SDK Manager to flash image and install sdk components.

I followed this instructions but it still not work.
https://developer.nvidia.com/embedded/learn/jetson-agx-orin-devkit-user-guide/two_ways_to_set_up_software.html

It can only pick jetpack 5.0 right? Other options are de-selected.
I chose manual setup and it failed many times.

11:28:15 INFO: Flash Jetson AGX Orin - flash: /home/colin/nvidia/nvidia_sdk/JetPack_5.0_DP_Linux_DP_JETSON_AGX_ORIN_TARGETS/Linux_for_Tegra/bootloader/ramdisk_tmp /home/colin/nvidia/nvidia_sdk/JetPack_5.0_DP_Linux_DP_JETSON_AGX_ORIN_TARGETS/Linux_for_Tegra/bootloader /home/colin/nvidia/nvidia_sdk/JetPack_5.0_DP_Linux_DP_JETSON_AGX_ORIN_TARGETS/Linux_for_Tegra
11:28:15 ERROR: Flash Jetson AGX Orin - flash: 36137 blocks
11:28:15 ERROR: Flash Jetson AGX Orin - flash: /home/colin/nvidia/nvidia_sdk/JetPack_5.0_DP_Linux_DP_JETSON_AGX_ORIN_TARGETS/Linux_for_Tegra/tools/ota_tools/version_upgrade/ota_make_recovery_img_dtb.sh: line 177: strings: command not found
11:28:15 INFO: Flash Jetson AGX Orin - flash: [ NV_L4T_FLASH_ORIN_WITH_OS_IMAGE_COMP Install took 9s ]
11:28:15 ERROR: Flash Jetson AGX Orin - flash: command terminated with error
11:28:15 SUMMARY: DateTime Target Setup - target: Depends on failed component

And the above is just one of the errors. I tried many times , there are several errors and it always fail when flash 1%.

@EzPizzy , just want to clarify, this is your first time using this host machine to flash/install software from sdkmanager for a jetson device, right?

I flash nano before and it worked successfully

Ok, then I need your full log with the crash case. There should be a “EXPORT LOGS” button on the GUI.

OK.
SDKM_logs_JetPack_5.0_DP_Linux_for_Jetson_AGX_Orin_modules_2022-05-10_11-35-59.zip (73.1 KB)

Hi,

Do you want to install the SDK or you want to install the OS? I see the problem is in flash OS, but not installing SDK.

I try to install both because I dont know what the problem is. But the flash process failed in the first

Didn’t see such error before.

11:43:22.290 - info: NV_L4T_FLASH_ORIN_WITH_OS_IMAGE_COMP@JETSON_AGX_ORIN_TARGETS: /home/colin/nvidia/nvidia_sdk/JetPack_5.0_DP_Linux_DP_JETSON_AGX_ORIN_TARGETS/Linux_for_Tegra/bootloader/ramdisk_tmp /home/colin/nvidia/nvidia_sdk/JetPack_5.0_DP_Linux_DP_JETSON_AGX_ORIN_TARGETS/Linux_for_Tegra/bootloader /home/colin/nvidia/nvidia_sdk/JetPack_5.0_DP_Linux_DP_JETSON_AGX_ORIN_TARGETS/Linux_for_Tegra
11:43:22.376 - error: NV_L4T_FLASH_ORIN_WITH_OS_IMAGE_COMP@JETSON_AGX_ORIN_TARGETS: 36137 blocks
11:43:22.376 - info: Event: NV_L4T_FLASH_ORIN_WITH_OS_IMAGE_COMP@JETSON_AGX_ORIN_TARGETS - error is: 36137 blocks
11:43:22.389 - error: NV_L4T_FLASH_ORIN_WITH_OS_IMAGE_COMP@JETSON_AGX_ORIN_TARGETS: gzip: /home/colin/nvidia/nvidia_sdk/JetPack_5.0_DP_Linux_DP_JETSON_AGX_ORIN_TARGETS/Linux_for_Tegra/kernel/Image: not in gzip format

What is your ubuntu host version?

And just let you know that.

You don’t need to select both if you only want to install SDK. These options could be selected on the GUI.

Flashing OS and installing SDK are separate options.