Unreal support for USDSequence (not bone animation)

USDSequence can be played correctly in OV, but it is StaticMesh in UE4, maybe it should be GeometryCache, can it play in UE4 as it does in OV?
How should I deal with this kind of mesh sequence, not bone animation (Alembic? USD?)

This is the USDSequence from Houdini:

I assume by USDSequence that you’re referring to vertex animation or point cache? At the moment the Omniverse plugins in Unreal do not import vertex animation or point caches.

thank you, many cloth and VFX need point cache to enter UE4, we are looking forward to the subsequent update

Hello LouRohan! It’s been around 2 years since your response. Is USD vertex animation still not supported in Unreal Engine 5 (specifically 5.2)? Are there any plans of supporting it soon? It’s a big deal for me. Thanks!

Hi Ninooo
I’m sorry that we still didn’t support this, but the feature request has been filed internally. OM-105818.

Hello Julian, thank you for the reply! I was informed on Twitter that UE 5.3 has added support for USD geometry cache so I am downloading it now to test.

Could you please give me an estimate of the release of the Omniverse Connector for 5.3? Thanks!

Hi Ninooo,

1. I tested that Unreal USD plugin has already supported vertex animation with geometry cache since 5.1, maybe you can use it as a workaround.
  2. We are working on Omniverse Connector to support the new 5.3, I’m confident that we can publish the new version with Unreal 5.3 release.
  3. We’re also trying to implement vertex animation in Omniverse Connector as well.
1 Like
  1. Unfortunately I need the Unreal Omniverse plugin because I have my materials mapped as OmniPBR in the Blender USD branch and they don’t seem to work when I import the file in Unreal’s native USD Stage.

2. I’m looking forward to that!

3. I’m personally not using the Live functionality of Omniverse since I mainly use Blender in my workflow and it has no Connector yet (that I’m aware). I mostly just convert my materials to OmniPBR, export the assets to Nucleus and import them within UE5 for rendering (at least that’s the plan, I’m still figuring things out). But good to know the team is working to make that possible!

Thank you again for replying!

Hi @Im_Ninooo. This isn’t central to your question, but I just wanted to clarify: there actually is a Blender Connector add-on that you can use to export directly to Nucleus, though it doesn’t yet support live-edit:

https://docs.omniverse.nvidia.com/connect/latest/blender/nucleus-connector.html

You might be using this already, since you mentioned that you’re exporting to Nucleus, but I wasn’t sure if you’re using OmniDrive to do so currently. In any case, I just wanted to mention this.

Hello makowalski!

Yes, I am aware of the addon and it’s what I’ve been using to export USD. When I said there was no Connector for Blender I really meant the Live-Sync functionality, like the Unreal Connector plugin (the Blender addon is called Nucleus Connector, hence the confusion).

Thanks for reaching out anyway!

1 Like

That makes sense. Thanks for clarifying!

1 Like
  1. We’re also trying to implement vertex animation in Omniverse Connector as well.

Hi Julian! Now that the Connector plugin for UE5.3 has been released I tested importing a vertex animation but it doesn’t seem to work (but as usual, it does work in Composer). Has it not been possible to implement it in Unreal yet?

Thanks!

Hi Im_Ninooo, I apologize that it’s not on the priority list of 204.0 yet.

1 Like