Video textures

Hi all,

Does Omniverse Create support video textures? And if so what formats are supported?

Greetings from Amsterdam, Sander

3 Likes

Its on our list to support. One hack is to use UDIM textures and connect to time variable in MDL to advance the frames.

We will make this easier when the material editor is in (next couple of months)

Thank you for the info. Can’t wait for this feature it would make it the cherry on top for me. Unfortunately I am new to MDL and never had to use Udim before so that sounds like a no go for now.
Love the program so far btw, spectacular quality and performance.

1 Like

Thank you, this is just the beginning, so much in the works. Thank you for being a part of beta and helping shape the product.

1 Like

Hi Sander, thanks for the kind words!

Until Omniverse fully supports video textures, we have a basic MDL material which can animate UDIM textures, creating the illusion of a video texture. You just have to assign the MDL material to a surface and point it to a folder containing a sequence of animated images named with consecutive numbers (e.g. frame001.png, frame002.png, …).

You can see an example of this UDIM texture MDL in the video below:

Let us know if this sounds interesting to you, and we can share the MDL file here.

Ah that looks awesome, exactly what I need at the moment. Been using unreal for some real-time action but programs like that always break for me when you get into the nitty gritty like transparency/reflection etc… :/ Omniverse seems to have none of those drawbacks.

Anyways, so the marker is just a counter? A file would be much appreciated.
My interface looks a little bit different from yours. Can’t find a details tab for the life of me (no audio settings and utilities either. Are those plugins?).
I can’t yet wrap my head around the MDL shader. USD preview surface = MDL? Did you use omnigraph? (supercool btw coming from Houdini)

So long story short, yes file please :)

Sorry, another question. Do I need substance or similar tool to create a MDL or is this also possible inside Create? What is the easiest way to do that.

That video is a bit outdated. The Details panel is now called “Property”:

The Audio panel is gone, because it’ now integrated into “Property”. It will do the right thing when dealing with audio prims in USD. Utilities were an old extension that have been integrated into other parts of the tool as well.

I can’t yet wrap my head around the MDL shader. USD preview surface = MDL? Did you use omnigraph? (supercool btw coming from Houdini)

USDPreviewSurface is an implementation of the USD standard material in MDL. MDL is a general language that allows you to write any arbitrary material. You can write them by hand or use a tool like Substance Designer to author new MDLs. We are also close to adding graph-based MDL. Coming very soon.

Hi Sander

Welcome to Omniverse!

I’m attaching the MDL material I’ve been using for our texture animations. You should be able to just drag and drop this into your stage and it will appear as a material. Haven’t tested it with the official beta build yet so let me know if there are any problems and I’ll make sure we get it to work for you.

AnimUdimMaterial.mdl (3.5 KB)

As mentioned before, this is a temporary solution. The renderer will load all UDIMs you’re referencing so this can easily exceed the maximum number of textures allowed or simply exceed your device memory. In this setup I believe the maximum number of frames possible are 640. I don’t remember the maximum number of texture resources. It might be a bit lower than that.

Anyway, I hope this helps and let us know how it works out for you.

Happy holidays!

Best,
Patrik

1 Like

Thank you so much for the workaround. It’s not going to cut it for now. 640 is not nearly 55000 haha. That will never fit in memory I guess. I hoped this to be a great step up from Eevee which just plays very long mp4’s no problem. Of course when you make great software somebody comes around with a very specific use case to pick it apart… sorry.

But makes me very happy in showing what is possible. Can’t wait for the update :)

Did a little render test and the performance is spectacular btw. This combined with Houdini Solaris is just a dream come true. Keep up the good work!

2 Likes

Omniverse is a platform for loads of connectors between apps , from Unreal to Blender to Adobe tools orking in 3D. It wants NVIDIA’s (or AMD’s!) latest RTX GPUs. Now is another time to curse the names of whoever is buying the damned things up to resell them above cost or mine crypto or just build some really weird Microsoft Flight Simulator dungeon.

I think it’s important to have image sequence support for textures. Also for animated HDR textures in a dome light. Looking forward!

1 Like

I had my UDIM animations working but not sure why they just don’t work like the example.usd provided. The example seems to work - how much does the resolution effect the animation? Does the UDIM length matter? Been attemping to solve this for over an hour. Thanks!

@garretthoyos I try to help you here if I can :)

See here:

The error you got in your screenshot is not the issue, I got it too and still it works.

Most often I messed up the animated texture, is the odd naming thing.
Just use the example scene and keep the reference path of the “albedo map” as it is.

Then just delete the example image 1000 png´s and put your own there with exaclty the same naming. Use free “bulk rename utility” to rename your png´s.

So the texture to look for albedo map is always the:

Hope this helps…

1 Like

Also, if your starting frame number of your timeline is something larger than 0, the animated texture jumps to there automatically. See here it is 434 so we have 1435 at animated seq ( on mobile phone screen ).

Hello @garretthoyos! Devs got back to me about your question:

The warning message indicates he has more UDIM tiles than we support for that UDIM format. The limit of 640 is correct in this specific case.

The warning message Kit gave is misleading. The UDIM file name format he’s using only supports a width of 10. Hence the max number of tiles is 10 * 64 = 640

Internal Ticket to fix warning message: OM-37609

The Devs would like to know if you remember what you were trying to do when you recieved the error message?

haha! Just messed up my own current anim tex by renaming the png´s

img.

should be Img.

I just saw this…
The custom solution I am talking here has 1000 frames.
It is here:

Hope I did not waisted your time…

Okay so I opened up the example.usd file (which I no longer see on this thread) - and I can see the UDIMs running okay on a flat plane (takes a bit to get the sequencer to get it working). Just updated to the newest version of omnivers create 2021.3.5 ---- currently using 2021.3.2 so maybe it will fix this problem if I update?
CONSOLE attached
Anyways here’s the error I get. kit_20210915_133247.log (381.9 KB)

EDIT/UDPATE (even before posting this)
It now works… Not really sure what I did tbh. I had a jpg sequence and a png sequence in the same folder - I deleted the jpgs - perhaps that did the trick . my file’s are named fractal.1001.png and the mtl diffuse channel is named fractal..png – its working. :) thanks @pekka.varis and @WendyGram

1 Like

any idea how to make it loop?