"WARNING: Test key is used." Board not responsive after installing jetpack 5.0.2

Using SDKmanager on Ubuntu 20.04, I attempted to flash and install the new Jetpack (i.e., 5.0.2) on my newly purchased Jetson Orin Dev Board.

The installation ended with an error and did not finalize. The board is not responsive afterward. I cannot connect via SSH OR serial port. Using a display, the keyboard is not detected, and the display shows a message as follows:
** WARNING: Test key is used. **
After this message, the fan of the board runs for a few seconds, and then the display goes dark and I get no response from the board. The logs are attached.

I would appreciate some help to solve this issue.

logs.zip (76.0 KB)

The flash process is not done. It gives a usb timeout error.

Is your ubuntu20.04 on a virtual machine?

No. The ubuntu machine is a workstation that is always on during the process. The process fails really fast – almost immediately after I start it.

Did this ubuntu machine ever flash any other jetson devices before?
or have you changed other usb cable?

Yes. I did flash a Jetson TX1 before with this Ubuntu machine.
I only used the usb cable that was shipped with the board.

I can only suggest try other host machine first or other usb type C cable.

Or you can also try manual flash first. I just posted the method in another thread.

Please remember the path in (2) is different. You need to go to your own.

Thanks for the response!
I changed the USB cable. Using SDKmanager, I got the same failure.

I tried the manual flash instruction and it failed too – very similar to the logs of the shared thread. I will put my logs here as well.

manual_flash.log (8.2 KB)

Hi,

Is it possible to test other x86 host ? For example, a ubuntu 18.04 host?

Thank you WayneWWW for the good suggestions.

I finally solved it.
I used Ubuntu 18.04 instead of Ubuntu 20.04.
I installed JetPack 5.0.1 DP using SDK manager.
After booting up the board, I updated the machine to the latest packages for JetPack 5.0.1 DP. I used the following commands:

sudo apt update
sudo apt dist-upgrade
sudo apt install --fix-broken -o Dpkg::Options::="--force-overwrite"
sudo reboot

After rebooting, I updated the etc/apt/sources.list.d/nvidia-l4t-apt-source.list file to point to the 35.1 repo on both lines. Finally, I ran the following commands:

sudo apt update
sudo apt dist-upgrade
sudo apt install --fix-broken -o Dpkg::Options::="--force-overwrite"
sudo reboot

Now, cat /etc/nv_tegra_release shows version R35.1.

I am curious, you should be able to flash jp5.0.2 even on the same ubuntu 18.04 host.

Hi,

How did you point the " update the etc/apt/sources.list.d/nvidia-l4t-apt-source.list file to point to the 35.1 repo"?

I found the solution: Jetpack 5.0.2 with Jetson Linux 35.1 is now live!

Please let me know. I have the same issue as yours.

I can only flash Jetpack 5.0.1 DP and my display still does not work.

To point to the new repo, you should open etc/apt/sources.list.d/nvidia-l4t-apt-source.list and change 34.1 to 35.1 on both lines.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.