Windows 10 file explorer slow

I’m not sure if this is the right place to report an issue, if not I’d appreciate getting directed to the correct spot.

We have updated an engineer to a new Precision 5550 with Windows 10. Immediately they complained that using file explorer to browse, create directories, move files, etc. was frustratingly slow, much worse than the previous 8-year old laptop with Windows 7.

We were unable to find a cause, this was a clean install of Windows 10, almost identical to all of our other (non-engineering) desktops. It was found however that the fix at this reddit thread from 2 years ago did fix the issue:
Fix for Windows 10 file explorer slow opening : Dell (reddit.com)

Basically uninstalling nVidia drivers fixes the problem. With nVidia drivers installed you can change file explorer properties, click the Run dropdown to re-select “normal window”, and click ok. This fixes the issue until the system reboots. So it seems there’s a nVidia explorer plugin issue?

The engineer has tested this and finds performance acceptable after the “fix”, but still needs to do it every reboot. Is this something that could get looked at and fixed permanently?

Did you ever find a permanent fix for this? We have 3 brand new Dell Precision 5550 that our engineers are using for Autocad and have the same issue with file explorer. All the fixes I find are only temporary that go away after a reboot like turning off switchable graphics so it only uses the Nvidia graphics card

Unfortunately no. We’ve also determined it is also related to network drives, so the engineer stopped using Windows offline files, and uses a different program to sync files to his local drive. As you can imagine this has caused other issues, but they usually are less frustrating than doing the temporary fix all the time.

Thanks for the quick reply. How did you determine it was also related to network drives if you don’t mind explaining? Did you remove all the mapped drives and it worked fine? We use a combination of mapped network drives to our servers and mapped cloud drives through Egnyte.

I think just noticed the common operations run on the local drive were normal. It’s such a huge difference that even just opening a folder locally vs over the network is quite noticeable, the network folder taking ~2 seconds to simply open a folder with 200 files.