Windows 10 VM - Code 43 on GeForce 650 Ti - Driver 472.98 WHQL - TrueNAS-SCALE-22.02.0.1

When I create a Windows 10 VM, passthrough seems to work without issue, except for the GPU.

Device Manager:
After installing the driver (472.98 WHQL), the GPU shows up in device manager as if there are no problems. Sometime later (20-30 mins) I get Code 43. I can disable the device in device manager, then enable the device, and it stays listed without any issues…until I reboot the VM. Then the issue returns.

Task Manager:
The GPU is NOT listed in the performance section of Task Manager.

Right-clicking on the Desktop:
Nvidia control panel is not listed.

Other than Device Manager, there is no indication that the GPU present and\or doing work in the VM.

Host Specs (I am testing, this is not production):
Dell T630
(2) Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2650 v4 @ 2.20GHz
64GB ECC RAM
GeForce GTX 650 Ti

Host OS:
TrueNAS-SCALE-22.02.0.1
Note: TrueNAS-Scale is Debian and uses KVM for virtualization

Is any one else seeing this? Any suggestions?

Hi,
I’m having the exact issues you’re describing on a GTX 660.
I’ve also tried the 471.96 driver with no luck.

If I find a solution I’ll try and keep you posted.
Have you had any further luck yourself?

For some reason I was not notified when you replied. Yes and no. I’m running TrueNAS Scale - 22.12.0 as of this writing. Since I’m learning \ testing, I’ve tried 3 things.

1. I was successful using ESXI and passing through to a Windows 10 and 11 VM.
  2. I was successful using HyperV on Windows Server 2016 to pass through to Win 10 and Win 11.
  3. I did not have success using TrueNAS Scale (22.12.0 as of this writing). Code 43 still plagues me on the GPU even though TrueNAS Scale has gotten a lot better with passthrough. Example, I can now pass through a PCIe Sata controller and can successfully use a Sata BluRay Burner in Windows 10 (reads, writes at full speed).

I think TrueNAS Scale still needs some work on these older cards . Reading posts, it seems people are successfully passing through 1070 cards and above. I had purchased a Quadro RTX 4000 card as an upgrade to my GeForce 650 Ti. The Quadro RTX 4000 passes through beautifully on TrueNAS Scale for a Windows 10 VM. So well in-fact that even the USB-C port on the Quadro RTX 4000 card works as you would expect… I’m able to connect USB-C thumb drives and read\write without issue… other usb devices work… the usb-c even charges a device at 27 watts (note this is not my primary use-case by any means, but it’s a nice option for reading\controlling external devices from the VM without any extra work). Note: The Quadro RTX 4000 shows up as 3 PCI devices, 1- GPU Device; 2 - Audio Device; 3 - USB Device.