18.10 community edition on Mac OS 10.13.6

Hello,

I tried to install the community edition on my mac that has Xcode 10 and the development tools (I regularly use them, and my MacPorts software uses them too).

I got the error shown in this screen capture

The installer complains that I have the incorrect version of Xcode.

any ideas ?

bash-3.2$ gcc -v
Configured with: --prefix=/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr --with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/include/c++/4.2.1
Apple LLVM version 10.0.0 (clang-1000.11.45.2)
Target: x86_64-apple-darwin17.7.0
Thread model: posix
InstalledDir: /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin
bash-3.2$

Hi gjones,

That is an error with the installation message, it should say supported up through Xcode 9.x; we don’t support Xcode 10 or Mojave at the moment. But you should be OK with 9.x and High Sierra.

Xcode 9 would be your best bet to install 18.10 CE. You can grab it from Apple’s download archives. Xcode 10 and 9 can be installed side-by-side and the “active” one can be picked with xcode-select, e.g. sudo xcode-select -s /Path/To/Xcode9.app/Contents/Developer

thanks aglobus ! that installer message threw me for a loop…

one final question, xcode9 and xcode10 can live side by side, but does the same hold for the command line tools for each version of xcode ?

This thread is just the detail I needed and I just wanted to close it out regarding the command line - use xcode-select on the command line to choose the version of Xcode you want to work with and I believe you do need the command line tools for each…

$ xcode-select --help
Options:
-h, --help
-p, --print-path
-s , --switch set the path for the active
–install open a dialog for install cmd line tools

Mojave is now supported starting with 19.1