CloudXR 3.1 Too dark in ArCore sample

Hello,

I tried updating our Android ArCore CloudXR viewer (based on the hello_cloudxr sample) to v3.1 today.

The connection and setup is fine, but the image I’m getting on the Android handset looks too dark. It’s like the colour space is wrong - at a guess I would say it’s expecting gamma, but getting linear (for example).

I’m also having the problem where the alpha layer appears to be too low a value… I can see the camera background even in areas where I expect it to be opaque.

Is there a workaround, or a fix in the works?

Thanks,
David

1 Like

Yes, we unfortunately identified this too late in our release process. I believe there’s a bullet for the bug in the release notes.

And yes, it looks to be a problem with gamma vs linear. Not yet clear if it’s driver variants handling things differently. We have to do gamma->linear for decoded frames on the android VR headsets, as somewhere the drivers aren’t properly detecting gamma. That seems to not be working for android AR devices.

We’re looking into the cause of the difference, and the right longer-term solution. We’ll also take a look at whether there is any quick, temporary work-around that could be done on the sample side (as this piece is inside the library, we’d need to replicate the blit code, like the ARCore sample did in the earliest releases).

I don’t have any ETA at the moment unfortunately.

1 Like

Thanks Dave. Good to know you’ve identified the issue.

We actually never got rid of our blitter.h/.c so wouldn’t be too afraid of a change to the shaders to sort it out. Or we can just wait for 3.2.