Connecting two different LAN to single LAN port of jetson nano

Hi,

I am using jetson nano production module with carrier board. It has one LAN port for ethernet connection. But I need to connect two different ethernet connection. One is from CCTV DVR to Jetson nano for reading the video streams without internet and another one is for ethernet internet connection. Since carrier board has only one port, how to achieve this two functionalities with single port. Is there any ethernet adapters will support this kind of requirement?

Normally you would just connect the Jetson and DVR to a network switch. Or perhaps to the same router (which would perform DHCP address assignment even if the internet is not available…the private side of the router would still connect the Jetson and DVR).

Assigning two different subnets to the same NIC is known as “multihoming”. I’m not sure how well Linux supports that now, but long ago it worked. Then there was a period when multihoming seemed to not be available. That was a long time ago the last time I checked, and it is possible multihoming a single NIC might be possible, but I can’t confirm.

Pretty much any USB or PCIe NIC which works on desktop Linux would work on a Jetson, but you might need to compile and add a kernel module. You’d want to know which driver the NIC uses in Linux before purchasing; if it is custom, and not available in source form, then it might not be possible in arm64/aarch64 architecture, but if it is one of the standard drivers available from the shipping kernel, then it should be easy to add.

Hi,

I couldn’t understand it properly. Did u mean that, if I connect my jetson nano LAN and DVR’s LAN to my router,then jetson and DVR will get internet from router and in case internet is lost then still jetson can able to read the streams from DVR through ethernet wired connection?

Yes, that is correct. The address assignment to the private LAN is independent of whether or not the outside internet is available. Being on the same router puts them on the same subnet, which in turn means there is no special support requirement for the two devices to see and talk to each other.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.