Couldn't open joystick /dev/input/js0 (Solved)

I’m trying to use a logitech F310 with the Xavier on the eSATA/USB port. I’ve used this gamepad with numerous other Ubuntu machines without issues. Normally it just works, no extra driver installs required. Maybe a kernel module for gamepad support missing?

The F310 is recognized by lsusb, but no input device is created.

chris@jetson-0423018055226:~$ lsusb
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 046d:c21d Logitech, Inc. F310 Gamepad [XInput Mode]
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

chris@jetson-0423018055226:~$ ls /dev/input/
by-path event0 event1 event2 event3 event4 event5 mice

chris@jetson-0423018055226:~/catkin_ws/src/airsim_ros$ rosrun joy joy_node
[ERROR] [1537192882.864962304]: Couldn’t open joystick /dev/input/js0. Will retry every second.

This is probably because CONFIG_JOYSTICK_XPAD is not compiled as part of the default configuration. You could rebuild your kernel and enable that as a module.

That was it. The gamepad is working after adding the XPAD kernel module.

Hello,
I’m posting my query here in the same post, because I think that it’s somewhat similar to the original post.
I’m trying to use Logitech GamePad F710 in Direct Input Mode connected to Xavier using 3.0 USB Hub and eSATA/USB port. I had installed Joystick drivers, jstest-gtk and Gamepad is detected by the system in DirectInput mode under /dev/input/js0.
$ sudo jstest /dev/input/js0
is also showing output, but " Not Registering any Input given by Joystick, keys/buttons".
I would have tried option of XPAD Kernel module, but I think that it’s mostly for “XInput” mode not for “DirectInput” mode.
Can someone help me in getting this thing to work?

I am having the exact same issues…

are you recompiling the kernel ON your local Xavier or are you cross-compiling?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Recompiling on the Xavier, using an external drive for the build.

Thanks!

I was able to get it cross-compiled pretty easy with this info: