Create Crashing when Loading USD Scenes

Hi, I have been attempting to load visualisations of neutron tracks from Paraview in omniverse using the paraview connector, when trying to render the scenes in create it acts as if loading for around 30 seconds and then crashes. When looking at the session info, it seems to have created the .usd files from paraview, but when attempting to load these up individually in create, it looks like it loads the model and then crashes a few seconds later (on the resources monitor it is utilising the majority of my laptops RAM). I have also attempted to load one of the AEC example .usd scenes which again seems to load okay and then memory usage goes up and create crashes. Is there any way to reduce the amount of memory usage to prevent crashes or any other solution to this?

I am running in Ubuntu 20.04 on a laptop with:
Intel Core i7 11800H (2.3Ghz, 4.6 Turbo)
32GB 3200Hz RAM
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 16GB

Hello @william.smith-14! I have a few questions for you.

• We’ve been having some issues with a few of our drivers. Can you let me know that GPU driver version you are using?
  • What version of Create are you using?
  • Could attach a copy of your logs, it might help identify where the crash is happening: C:\Users\<USERNAME>\.nvidia-omniverse\logs\Kit\Create

Also, if you would like, you can send me a copy of the USD file that ParaView created and I can have the dev team take a look at it. You can email it to me here: omniversecommunity@nvidia-omniverse.atlassian.net

I’m using nvidia-driver-510 (had issues working with newer diver versions with either not working in omniverse or not supporting my second monitor)
I’m using Create 2022.3.0
Logs:
kit_20221201_133207.log (1.1 MB)

Thanks!

Hi William,
Can you download VIEW, which is the simplified “viewer” of our USD structure. Download, and open the USD files and see a) if that crashes and b) if it opens does it look all correct. If you have anyway of capturing a LIVE VIDEO of it along with any console readouts or logs that would be great.

So view won’t launch on my laptop, logs: kit_20221201_180754.log (112.3 KB)
Create (2022.3.0) crashing when attempting to load the USD file created from the ParaView session:

and the logs:
kit_20221201_181840.log (1.1 MB)

and again in Create 2022.2.0:

and the logs:
kit_20221201_182503.log (878.2 KB)

View won’t load ? Strange. Would you mind showing us that as well ? That is important. Is it just this ONE scene that is giving you trouble or is it anything ? Something else I want you to try is to download USDVIEW from the Exchange. This is a raw usd viewer, very basic, but if the file is corrupt it may give us some clues. See if you can download and open USDVIEW and open the file.

Here is view not loading:

and the logs:
kit_20221201_213806.log (112.4 KB)
Unfortunately I am currently running linux (Ubuntu 20.04) and USDView is only supported by windows currently…

and here is an example of Create crashing under an NVIDIA demo asset:

and the logs:
kit_20221201_214137.log (1.3 MB)

Hi William, Ok something I noticed… you probably crashed there because you were TOTALLY out of memory. CPU memory. You have 32GB of system memory but when you tried to load the demo it went all the way down to 100mb and crashed. What is taking so much system memory ? Do you have something MAJOR loaded in the background ?

I want you to do a clean windows login, and load NOTHING. Nothing at all. No browser, no music, no apps. Just the OV launcher. and then CREATE. Then keep an eye on that memory. If either GPU or CPU mem goes “RED” you have an issue and it will crash.

Okay… did a completely fresh boot into Linux, still crashes, my memory usage (by Omniverse) before loading anything is: 19.8gb (CPU) and 1.8gb (GPU) - surely Omniverse doesn’t require this much RAM when sitting in the Home Screen with no scenes loaded? When it crashes it shows memory usage of around 31gb (CPU), turns the text red and then crashes. Should Omniverse be taking this much RAM sitting at idle with nothing loaded?

I think we have something here… there is NO WAY that is should take some much ram. So just loading CREATE fresh, with no scene loaded it takes 20GB of RAM ? If you can get me a screenshot showing Create taking 20GB of Ram with a clean boot and nothing loaded, I will file a ticket and see if we can figure this out.

Yes, here is a capture of me loading create fresh with the resource monitor in the background showing 17.5GB ish of memory usage:

Thanks Will, confirmed at 17.5GB. I just ran it on my system at 4GB. So we need to investigate.

I am also working on why you cannot start VIEW. That is also a strange error. I will get back to you.

Thanks! Anything else I can provide you with, please do not hesitate to ask