Direct firmware load failed error

Hello everyone,
I had this error while I’m trying to use nvenc on AGX Orin and inside a docker container. After this error device becomes unable to do anything until rebooting it. After reboot, everything becomes normal but rebooting takes too much time about 30 mins. Also, this error happens very rarely.
Then I realized that firmware really missing inside the docker container however it can use hardware encoding even though this file is missing.
Is this a bug for l4t-base docker containers maybe newer firmware has been forgotten to add? Do you think just copying that file to that location can solve this problem?

Hi,

First, have you launched the container with --runtime nvidia?
The command will mount some library (defined in the below file) from the BSP.

/etc/nvidia-container-runtime/host-files-for-container.d/l4t.csv

If you already add the flag, could you share the detailed steps for reproducing this issue?
Thanks.

Hi,
Yes, I’m launching the container with ‘–runtime nvidia’. After your reply I realized, the needed folder is missing the list of host files for the container (/etc/nvidia-container-runtime/host-files-for-container.d/l4t.csv). When I added the needed line, the correct folder mounted the container properly.

Possible solution to this bug for now:

The needed file is missing even if with Nvidia runtime:

tegra23x should have been here on the list:

Screenshot from 2023-02-03 09-38-22

I’ve added that line to the list:

Screenshot from 2023-02-03 09-38-55

Eventually, it mounted the correct folder to the container:

I think this is a subtle bug, developers forgot to add this line.

How to reproduce this bug:

Dockerfile:

Run ./script.sh inside the container:

I’m closing this topic due to there is no update from you for a period, assuming this issue was resolved.
If still need the support, please open a new topic. Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for your testing and feedback.

Just want to confirm first.
Have you upgraded the system with apt before? Ex. upgrade to r35 from r34?
Or you just set up the system with JetPack and meet the error.

Thanks.