Domain Randomization

Hi, I ran the ‘Randomizaing Lighting’ example following the instruction on the website: https://docs.nvidia.com/isaac/isaac_sim/plugins/domain_randomization/components.html, but nothing happens in the environment. The lighting keeps the same. Could you please give me some help with this issue?

Hi xmaster,

Have you given the right path to the config files? are the config files loaded correctly?

Thanks,
Liila

Hi Liila,

Thank you for your reply. I have set the JSONConfig Path in IsaacSimGameModeBase as “/home/wind/Data/Isaac_sim/IsaacSimProject/Content/JsonBridgeConfig/Tests/DomainRandomization/ExistLightActor/paths.json”. The content in the “paths.json” is like this:
"
{
“graphs”: ["/home/wind/Data/Isaac_sim/IsaacSimProject/Content/JsonBridgeConfig/Tests/DomainRandomization/ExistLightActor/graph.json"],
“configs”: ["/home/wind/Data/Isaac_sim/IsaacSimProject/Content/JsonBridgeConfig/Tests/DomainRandomization/ExistLightActor/config.json"]
}
"
Then, I saved the change and Played to run IsaacSim, but nothing happened. The lighting was still the same as before.

Besides, the application I was running was the carter_sim in the CarterWareHouse_P environment.

Thank you.

Hi Xmaster,

This is very strange!
Do other randomizations like the mesh and color work fine?
Do you get any warning in the Isaac Sim that cant find the json file?

THanks,
Liila

Hi Liila,

I have tried the other domain randomizations including the mesh and color but they also did not work. The Isaac Sim did not give any warning information neither.
I suggest you do a test to see what is wrong with DR. This might be a bug.

Thank you.

Kind regards,
xmaster

Hi xmaster,

Dr should work fine, we have test it many times.
My guess is you havent done the first step right.
Please double check if you have set the path in the “IsaacSimGameModeBase” per instructions at the “Setting up JSON Config Path” where you set the path inside the Isaac Sim (UE4).

Hope this helps,
Liila

Hi Liila,

Please have a look at the screenshot of the JSONConfigPath in IsaacSimGameModeBase.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jYaq587x3UVaoq_J2gkIpgUA68gsE7Iq/view?usp=sharing

I actually have followed the instructions exactly at the “Setting up JSON Config Path”.
So, it is really weird.

Thank you.

Xmaster

Hi xmaster,

This is indeed very strange.
What is your UE4 version? maybe you are running in different version.

I will ask one of our developers to help you out.
Liila

Hi Liila,

I am running UE4 4.20.3 and Isaac Sim 2019.2.

I also found that the environments I edited (removing objects or adding objects) in Isaac Sim 2019.1 could not be opened in Isaac Sim 2019.2, even though their UE4 versions are both 4.20.3.

Thank you.

Xmaster

Hi xmaster,

ABout your assets, we have moved the location of assets and environments in 2019.2 compared to 2019.1, so you need to manually move your edited environment to the new location.

About the Domain Randomization, I am really out clue.
I will ask a developer to help you out.

THanks,
Liila

Hi Liila,

Thank you for the information about the environments. That makes sense.

Regards,
Haoyang

Hi xmaster,

I asked one of the developers to start from scratch and follow the doc step by step, and it seems that everything works fine.
Here are the steps he followed:

Setup and Build Isaac Sim

In my Downloads folder,

1. Download Unreal: git clone -b IsaacSim_1.2 https://github.com/NvPhysX/UnrealEngine.git

2. Download Isaac Sim git dependecies from https://developer.nvidia.com/isaac/downloads
    Go inside the Downloads folder.

3. Remove UnrealEngine/Engine/Build/IsaacSimProject_1.2_Core.gitdeps.xml

4. Run tar -xvzf IsaacSimProject_1.2.1238533.gitdeps.tar.gz -C /home/shoubhikdn/Downloads/UnrealEngine/Engine/Build/

5. Run cd UnrealEngine

6. Run ./Setup.sh

7. Run ./GenerateProjectFiles.sh

8. Run ./GenerateTestRobotPaths.sh

9. Run make && make IsaacSimProjectEditor
    Run Isaac Sim and DR config
    ======================

10. Run Isaac Sim: ./Engine/Binaries/Linux/UE4Editor IsaacSimProject CarterWarehouse_P -vulkan

11. For randomizing lights, update full path to sample exist light config in IsaacSimGameModeBase

1. For randomizing meshes, update full path to sample exist mesh config in IsaacSimGameModeBase

I had some videos as well, but it seems I can’t upload videos here.

Have you tested other apps, like carter_sim? I want to know if any app works for your Isaac Sim.

Hope this helps,
Liila

Hi Liila,

I will try this and will let you know if I have any results. 
Thank you.

Kind regards,
Xmaster

Hi Liila,

The Domain Randomization now works in the CarterWarehouse_P environment after I recompiled the Isaac Sim, though this is a bit weird.
Thank you.

Regards,
Xmaster

Hi Xmaster,

I am glad you got it working.

Thanks,
Liila