Flash Issue - The target is in a bad state

I have TX2i module that has jetpack 4.4.1 installed. so I wanted to upgrade the Jetpack 4.6 which is the latest release, so I had to upgrade SDK Manager from 1.5.1 to 1.7 so i can install latest version of jetpack. and since the upgrade of SDK manager i can’t upgrade the jetpack and it keep either showing me this error message.

This is the error log in terminal window.

11:04:39 SUMMARY: CUDA Cross Compile Package on Host - host: Install completed successfully.

11:04:39 SUMMARY: VisionWorks on Host - host: Install completed successfully.

11:04:39 SUMMARY: NVIDIA Nsight Graphics - host: Install completed successfully.

11:04:39 SUMMARY: NVIDIA Nsight Systems - host: Install completed successfully.

11:04:39 SUMMARY: Drivers for Jetson - target_image: Install completed successfully.

11:04:39 SUMMARY: File System and OS - target_image: Install completed successfully.

11:04:45 ERROR: Flash Jetson TX2 - flash: *** Reading ECID … *** Error: ECID read failed.

11:04:45 ERROR: Flash Jetson TX2 - flash: command terminated with error

11:04:45 SUMMARY: Flash Jetson TX2 - flash: First Error: Jetson board is in a bad state and cannot be recovered. Please manually put board to recovery mode again and retry… The Jetson target is in a bad state and cannot be flashed. Please manually put the target into recovery mode and then retry flashing.

11:04:45 SUMMARY: NVIDIA Container Runtime with Docker integration (Beta) - target: Depends on failed component

11:04:45 SUMMARY: Multimedia API - target: Depends on failed component

11:04:45 SUMMARY: TensorRT on Target - target: Depends on failed component

11:04:45 SUMMARY: VisionWorks on Target - target: Depends on failed component

11:04:45 SUMMARY: VPI on Target - target: Depends on failed component

11:04:45 SUMMARY: CUDA Toolkit for L4T - target: Depends on failed component

11:04:45 SUMMARY: cuDNN on Target - target: Depends on failed component

11:04:45 SUMMARY: OpenCV on Target - target: Depends on failed component

11:04:45 SUMMARY: NVIDIA Nsight Systems - target: Depends on failed component

11:04:45 SUMMARY: DateTime Target Setup - target: Depends on failed component

11:04:50 SUMMARY: CUDA on Host - host: Install completed successfully.

11:05:09 ERROR: VPI on Host - host: |/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)

11:05:14 SUMMARY: VPI on Host - host: Install completed successfully.

Is your board in recovery mode now?

yes, it was in recovery mode.

Could you directly use flash.sh and see if it can start the flash?

1 Like

I have just solved the issue using this command i found on this post.
sudo ./flash.sh jetson-tx2i mmcblk0p1

I will check what is missing and see if I can install it manually.

Got it. Glad to know flash.sh works.

Please try more times with your sdkmanager.

11:04:45 ERROR: Flash Jetson TX2 - flash: *** Reading ECID … *** Error: ECID read failed.

Looks like it is due to this error. Is your host machine a VM/VB?

thanks for the quick response Wayne.

Neither one, I’m using a PC with Ubuntu 18.04 installed.

1 Like

When this error occurs, Jetson board is in a bad state and cannot be recovered. Please manually put board to recovery mode again and retry.

Have you tried to manually put the Jetson board into recovery mode again before retry flashing?

Added note: If you perform any operation on the Jetson in recovery mode, then you must restart the recovery mode if you want to perform another operation. For example, if you flashed, but stopped part way in and wanted to restart, then you must restart the Jetson (in recovery mode again) before attempting a second flash.

1 Like

Had a similar problem.
Unable to flash xavier AGX

The suggested solution: “apt remove tlp” does not work for me. After this the installation freezes after every reboot.

My solution:
Use a live disk (I use: Kali Linux Release: 2021.1), add external storage for the installation package and try it again with:
./flash.sh jetson-agx-xavier-devkit mmcblk0p1

1 Like

Do note that live distributions can work, but there are two requirements to be careful with:

• There must be an underlying ext4 filesystem. NTFS will not work (flash itself would work, but operation will fail once booted to in incorrect filesystem type).
  • Not all live distributions contain a kernel and packages to use loopback mode. If loopback works, then you’ll probably succeed. Sounds like the live Kali has loopback (at least on command line…JetPack/SDKM might complain, but this is only a front end to the command line flash).

@linuxdev I have successfully installed jetpack 4.5 and 4.4.1on the same module with no issues, but when it comes to jetpack 4.6 it always fails at the flashing stage with the following log message.

08:40:08 INFO: Flash Jetson TX2 - flash: [ 2.8972 ] Assuming zero filled SBK key
08:40:08 INFO: Flash Jetson TX2 - flash: [ 2.9233 ] tegrarcm_v2 --chip 0x18 0 --updatesig rcm_list_signed.xml
08:40:13 INFO: Flash Jetson TX2 - flash: [ 2.9317 ] tegrarcm_v2 --chip 0x18 0 --rcm rcm_list_signed.xml
08:40:15 INFO: Flash Jetson TX2 - flash: [ 9.2895 ] tegrarcm_v2 --isapplet
08:40:15 INFO: Flash Jetson TX2 - flash: [ 9.5985 ] tegrarcm_v2 --oem platformdetails eeprom cvb /home/sun/nvidia/nvidia_sdk/JetPack_4.6_Linux_JETSON_TX2_TARGETS/Linux_for_Tegra/bootloader/bbd.bin
08:40:15 INFO: Flash Jetson TX2 - flash: [ 9.6009 ] Applet version 01.00.0000
08:40:15 ERROR: Flash Jetson TX2 - flash: UnicodeDecodeError: ‘utf-8’ codec can’t decode byte 0xa4 in position 17: invalid start byte
08:40:15 ERROR: Flash Jetson TX2 - flash: — Error: Reading board information failed.
08:40:15 ERROR: Flash Jetson TX2 - flash: command terminated with error
08:40:15 SUMMARY: DateTime Target Setup - target: Depends on failed component

so it seems like the erorr that I’m facing is related to reading of the starting byte.
This is the complete logs from SDK manager.
SDKM_logs_JetPack_4.6_(rev.2)_Linux_for_Jetson_TX2_modules_2021-11-15_08-40-01.zip (264.8 KB)

So the walkaround that I tried and worked with my issue was i had to flash the OS using the flash tool from this post
Then I have used SDK Manager to install the SDK tools by unchecking the OS Flash process.

Only one error appeared after the installation was Multimedia API, which I installed it manually ion the board using this command.

sudo apt install nvidia-l4t-jetson-multimedia-api

Could you give more detail about what did you do here? The post you are referring to is quite old, so I am not sure why you need to refer any guidance from it to make latest sdkmanager work.

@WayneWWW The Issue I was facing with sdkm was it will always fail in the flashing stage.
So, I had to flash the module using the flash script by running the command I found in the old post.
Then installed the SDK using the SDK manager, then it worked.

What worked? You can flash the board with sdkm now?

No, the issue still there, what I meant by saying it worked is the flashing and installation of jetpack 4.6
because this is what is was struggling with I managed to install Jetpack 4.4.1 and 4.5 with using sdkm,
But when i tried installing Jetpack 4.6 it fails in the flashing stage.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.