Flashing issues using WSL

Hi all,

We’ve got an AGX Orin developer kit that has been experimented with and upon a reboot (after trying to perform an update for JetPack), the device no longer wants to boot normally. If needed, I can share what the screen gets stuck on when trying to boot, but to be honest, instead of trying to find a fix for the booting issue, I thought it would be nice to try a re-flash for a fresh restart to the whole system. New to forums, I’m not sure how best to share all the information, but I’ll try and include some of the error messages and links as needed.

We do not have a dedicated Linux system, so we are going through the Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) to use SDK Manager for the flashing. We have followed the steps located at this URL:

https://docs.nvidia.com/sdk-manager/wsl-systems/index.html#wsl-systems-flash-jetson

Everything goes fairly smoothly (we are able to recognize the device in recovery mode and attach it to WSL, all the target components when using SDK Manager seem to download without issue, etc.) until SDK Manager tries to flash to the device. An unfortunately unhelpful error message, at least for me, comes up:

“The target is in a bad state - The Jetson target is in a bad state and cannot be flashed. Please manually put the target into recovery mode and then retry flashing.”

I’ve tried putting the device back into recovery mode (which it should have been when connecting to WSL), switching USB ports, making sure we are only including the Jetson Linux components and not any other runtime or SDK components (as well as trying some combinations of including components), as well as a number of other unsuccessful things.

Any help would be appreciated. Happy to provide more info as needed to clarify things. Pretty new to this world, but excited to learn and get things working. Thanks!

First, if possible, don’t use WSL to flash.
During flashing agx orin, the state of orin changed multiple times and will be recognized as different devices. As a result, WSL might not be able to connect orin again.

Here is my steps to get it work:

Change the config of WSL:
(WSL2 flashing with NVIDIA SDK Manager - #6 by DaveYYY)

Find USB BUS ID

$ usbipd list

Bind it to WSL:

$ usbipd bind --forced -b BUSID

Check if it’s attached:

$ usbipd list

Forward to wsl

$ usbipd attach --wsl --busid BUSID --auto-attach

Into wsl, check:

$ lsusb

Again, don’t use WSL, just use Linux.

USB connection with WSL is still very unstable even with usbipd.
Moreover, if you are flashing to NVMe or USB, you further need to re-compile the kernel for WSL for flashing to work:

Thanks everyone,

WSL had some apparent appeal at least for a beginner, but with our issues it seems like the easiest route may be to install Linux on one of our other devices for a dedicated system. We’ll give that a go! Thanks again

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.