Geforce GTX 660 Ti Cuda Disabled In Windows 8.1

Hello
I installed windows 8.1 on my HP Z600 workstation .
With my Geforce GTX 660 Ti Card .
Now I found that Cuda is not available and not active in After Effects & Premiere Programs .

[url]https://serving.photos.photobox.com/81810457f45f34087402f9159d90a908b3cb78ca4c072844b5176ee22730ce03b074953a.jpg[/url]

Also I found that Cuda in not available in GPU-Z Program .

How Can I Enable It ?

Perhaps you need to install a driver for that GPU. The windows-provided driver may not have CUDA support.

[url]Official Drivers | NVIDIA

I already installed the latest driver for my card . But nothing happened .

Now I downloading cuda driver “cuda_10.0.130_411.31_windows.exe”
I will try it

Which one is that? Did it install correctly?

The website Robert Crovella pointed to identifies this driver as the latest for a Geforce 660 Ti on Windows 8.1:

Yes I installed it correctly The same version as you write .
Now , I installed the Cuda driver but also no effects .

:(

I don’t know what requirements Adobe has, but GPU-Z should recognize the GPU once the driver is installed correctly. You don’t need to install CUDA for that. I have no ready explanation for your observations.

Did this GeForce 660 Ti work fine before you updated the driver? Or is this a new GPU you just installed? If the latter, make sure it has been correctly installed into a PCIe x16 slot, fastened to the case at the bracket, and the PCIe power cable(s) have been connected.

If this is the first time you are trying out a GPU that was acquired second hand, it is also possible that the GPU is defective, or not actually a GeForce GTX 660 Ti (fraudulent re-labelling of GPUs including VBIOS changes to hide that fact does occur).

The card worked fine on another PC with windows 8 and Gigabyte motherboard but worked after adding the model to the adobe premiere supported card Txt file .

After I put it to the Z600 workstation I installed windows 8.1 . nothing happened and no program read the Cuda of my card .

This is my card power connectors .

[url]https://serving.photos.photobox.com/35467928ff9d2b9065660fb9ae956bca3598bb2a13d9a94614f06dfd7979aa6359e14bae.jpg[/url]

[url]https://serving.photos.photobox.com/319774937213e5a5b65dc8de81d61fd2dde559ceb891a9d815ecf513463ac24dbaaf706a.jpg[/url]

is this right ?

It’s a bit hard to tell from the pictures, but this does not look right to me.

The GTX 660 Ti is specified with a power draw of 170W and consequently has two 6-pin PCIe power connectors (designed to supply up to 75W each), on the top. The rest of the power is supplied via the PCIe slot.

It appears one of these connectors is hooked up to what looks like an appropriate PCIe power cable. The other one, however, seems to be connected, via a converter, to a cable with Molex connectors. Traditionally, Molex power connectors were used by hard disks. A hard disk draws about 6W these days. I don’t know how this cable is supplied by the power supply unit, but I would assume it is not designed to supply up to 75W (and that assumes the converter works properly with regard to different voltage wires).

The other thing I notice is the cooling solution. A GTX 660 Ti is supposed to have a shroud that forces the air from the fan on the card across the heat sink vanes. There is no shroud here: I see the exposed heat sink. Did you install a water cooler block instead of the standard heat sink? But I don’t see any piping that would suggest water cooling. Without proper cooling, a GPU cannot work. Usually it shuts itself off to prevent permanent damage due to overheating.

Where did you acquire the GPU in this condition, and who installed it? It seems both power supply and cooling of the GPU have been compromised, to the point where the card is at present inoperable and possibly even defective.

I will see the power connectors again and I will also try to change Windows .
I received the card with this condition without any shroud and works fine for years but the GPU didn’t work in this HP Z600 workstation but work fine on another PC :(

Without the shroud the fan on the GPU will be largely ineffective. It is designed to suck in air and push it through the enclosure provided by the shroud, passing by the heat sink vanes, exhausting through the openings in the card bracket to the outside.

Maybe in the other PC there was a strong case fan providing additional airflow across the GPU, or maybe the GPU operated for years at elevated temperatures, ultimately rendering it defective. All electronics age through multiple physical mechanisms (e.g. electromigration), ultimately causing them to fail. Many processes speed up by a factor of two with each 10 degree Celsius increase in temperature, by Arrhenius’ Law. That’s why it is a bad idea to operate electronic parts with insufficient cooling.