I2S MCLK on Jetson TX2

Hello,

Currently during aplay command the AUDIO_MCLK clock via pin 7 on the J21 connector is measured to be 9MHz where should this value be modified to 12MHz?

Regards,

Igal

Isn’t there anyone in NVidia support that can reply on how to configure I2S clock out?

Hi Igal,

You should be able to do this by calling tegra_alt_asoc_utils_set_parent() as discussed here …

Also note my other comment below to comment out a call to clk_set_rate in tegra_alt_asoc_utils_set_rate() …

Hope this helps.

Regards
Jon

Jon, hi,

thanks for the prompt response (the links looks familiar :) )

and if all was set per the configuration and clock is 9[MHz]?

Regards,

Igal

Hi Igal,

Are you saying it is still 9MHz? You can always check what the kernel thinks by reading …

$ sudo grep -r aud_mclk /sys/kernel/debug/clk/clk_summary

Regards,
Jon

Jon, hi,

The clock there is 9,031,679[Hz].

Igal

Hi Igal,

Can you show me the complete output from …

$ sudo grep -r aud_mclk /sys/kernel/debug/clk/clk_summary

Regards,
Jon

Hi Igal,

Actually, please attach the complete output from …

$ sudo cat /sys/kernel/debug/clk/clk_summary

Regards
Jon

Jon, hi,

the full output is attached.

Igal

clk_summary.txt (33.2 KB)

Hi Igal,

The problem is that the parent clock for the aud_mclk is still the pll_a clock …

pll_a_vco                                               0            0   258000000   258000000          0 0  
    *[        default_freq                                       0]
       pll_a                                                0            0   270950390   270950400          0 0  
          pll_a_out0                                        0            0    45158398    45158400          0 0  
             aud_mclk                                       0            0     9031679     9600000          0 0  

The rate being requested is 9.6MHz and you are getting around 9.03MHz. In your tegra_t186ref_driver_probe() I see you were calling tegra_alt_asoc_utils_set_parent(). Is this still the case? If so, can you ensure that any calls to tegra_alt_asoc_utils_set_extern_parent() in tegra_t186ref_mobile_rt565x.c are commented out?

Regards,
Jon

Jon, hi,

Thanks for the instruction now the clock is 9.6[MHz]. I recall that this clock was supposed to be 12000000.

What might cause the gap?

Regards,

Igal

Hi Igal,

I am guessing any calls to tegra_alt_asoc_utils_set_extern_parent(). Did you check to see if this is being called?

Also did you comment out a call to clk_set_rate in tegra_alt_asoc_utils_set_rate()?

Regards,
Jon

Jon, hi,

Yes The function tegra_alt_asoc_utils_set_extern_parent() is being called and I have commented all invocations to this function in the file ( I hope I understood correctly the word “any”).

The function tegra_alt_asoc_utils_set_parent() is invoked.

Per out another discussion I have commented in the file tegra_asoc_utils_alt.c in the function tegra_alt_asoc_utils_set_rate() only in a single place the clk_set_rate() function.
The file is attached.
Should I comment out all other places too?
Regards,

Igal

tegra_asoc_utils_alt.c (14.7 KB)

Hi Igal,

Yes that sounds correct. What do you see now?

Regards,
Jon

Jon, hi,

I see now 9.6MHz and not 12[MHz].

Regards,

Igal.

Jon, hi,

another thing that I see now that just before entering the login screen the Bit clock provides (on connector J21 pin 12) is 19.2[MHz]. but when I run the speaker-test -Dhw:1,0 there is no Bit clock. The master clock does not change and is 9.6[MHz] in both occasions.

Regards,
Igal

Hi Igal,

Does /sys/kernel/debug/clk/clk_summary still show that the ‘aud_mclk’ is under the pll_a?

I will need to test but I will not be able to do so until next week.

Regards,
Jon

Hi Igal,

In the meantime you can add some prints around the clk_set_parent() calls in tegra_asoc_utils_alt.c to see who is setting the parent.

Regards,
Jon

Jon, hi,

I can see now that the requested clock is 12[MHz] while the actual clock is 9.6[MHz]. The parent clock of the aud_mclk is clk_m. I guess that the problem is deriving from 19,200,000 down to 12,000,00 one can divide either by 1 or by 2 (9,600,000[Hz]).
Shouldn’t it be 192[MHz] and not 19.2[MHz]?

The function clk_set_parent is invoked only once by the function in file tegra_t186ref_mobile_rt565x.c

Regards,
Igal

Hi Igal,

19.2MHz is correct and so we cannot use that clock as the parent afterall. We should be able to use the pll_p which is running at 408MHz. So can you try …

int tegra_alt_asoc_utils_set_parent(struct tegra_asoc_audio_clock_info *data,
			int is_i2s_master)
{
	int ret = -ENODEV;

if (data->soc == TEGRA_ASOC_UTILS_SOC_TEGRA20)
		return ret;

if (is_i2s_master) {
		ret = clk_set_parent(data->clk_cdev1, data->clk_pll_a_out0);
		if (ret) {
			dev_err(data->dev, "Can't set clk cdev1/extern1 parent");
			return ret;
		}
	} else {
		ret = clk_set_parent(data->clk_cdev1, <b>data->clk_pll_p_out1</b>);
		if (ret) {
			dev_err(data->dev, "Can't set clk cdev1/extern1 parent");
			return ret;
		}

ret = clk_set_rate(data->clk_cdev1, 12000000); // was 13000000 i.k.
		if (ret) {
			dev_err(data->dev, "Can't set clk rate");
			return ret;
		}
	}

return 0;
}
EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL(tegra_alt_asoc_utils_set_parent);

Regards,
Jon