Installing JetPack L4T 2.2.1 fails

Please help. I cannot get Jetpack to install on my Ubuntu Linux host system.

Details:

Installing JetPack L4T 2.2.1
for Jetson TX1 (64 bit)
on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS host (4x Intel i7-6500U cores @ 2.5 GHz, 16GB RAM, 80GB disk with 65 GB free).

I successfully started the installer, set configuration, and downloaded all listed packages.

After all the downloads, approximately 10 minutes, it begins installing packages. The following 3 packages, “Tegra Graphics Debugger” (2.2.16124), “Tegra System Profiler” (2.6.20651219), and “Documentation” (2.2.1) appear to install successfully, but the next item, “CUDA Toolkit for Ubuntu 14.04”, runs for awhile and then fails with the following message in the Terminal area:

=============
E: Unable to locate package cuda-toolkit-7-0
dpkg-query: package ‘cuda-toolkit-7-0’ is not installed and no information is available
Use dpkg --info (=dpkg-deb --info) to examine files
and dpkg --contents (=dpkg-deb --contents) to list their contents.

Here is the Log file:

(Reading database … 173373 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack …/cuda-repo-ubuntu1404-7-0-local_7.0-76_amd64.deb …
Unpacking cuda-repo-ubuntu1404-7-0-local (7.0-76) over (7.0-76) …
Setting up cuda-repo-ubuntu1404-7-0-local (7.0-76) …
OK
Get:1 file:/var/cuda-repo-7-0-local InRelease
Ign:1 file:/var/cuda-repo-7-0-local InRelease
Get:2 file:/var/cuda-repo-7-0-local Release [196 B]
Get:2 file:/var/cuda-repo-7-0-local Release [196 B]
Get:3 file:/var/cuda-repo-7-0-local Release.gpg [181 B]
Get:3 file:/var/cuda-repo-7-0-local Release.gpg [181 B]
Hit:4 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-security InRelease
Hit:5 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial InRelease
Hit:6 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-updates InRelease
Hit:7 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-backports InRelease
Reading package lists…
W: file:///var/cuda-repo-7-0-local/Release.gpg: Signature by key 889BEE522DA690103C4B085ED88C3D385C37D3BE uses weak digest algorithm (SHA1)
E: Failed to fetch file:/var/cuda-repo-7-0-local/Release No Hash entry in Release file /var/lib/apt/lists/partial/_var_cuda-repo-7-0-local_Release which is considered strong enough for security purposes
E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
Reading package lists…
Building dependency tree…
Reading state information…
E: Unable to locate package cuda-toolkit-7-0

I think current JetPack supports Ubuntu 14.04 hosts, Ubuntu 16.04 may be too new. There is supposed to be a new release coming out at some point which supports Ubuntu 16.04 host (no date has been announced, but it was said that it would be soon). This wouldn’t stop install of packages on the Jetson though, or flash of the Jetson.

I hope that’s not the problem (16.04 being too new), because I’m dead in the water and can’t make any progress until I can install JetPack. Is it really that sensitive to the particular release?

Would anyone know what the error messages are saying? It appears to be a failure of the signature key/digest algorithm. Doesn’t sound like it should be fatal. Perhaps a workaround?

I am grateful for the support!

Typically everything JetPack can install is manually available for individual package install one at a time on the Jetson. For the Jetson side, there is no issue if you don’t mind doing things by hand (my host is Fedora, so I’m one of those people).

For the host JetPack requires Ubuntu 14.04 (in large part because of package manager versioning). It was announced though that there will be host Ubuntu 16 support “very soon”…though no exact date was given. There have been people who have done some editing in “/etc” to change what appears to be Ubuntu 16 to at least partially trick JetPack into believing it is running on Ubuntu 14…I do not know what those steps were.

I’m not a Linux expert but I found that since the CUDA Toolkit 7.0 is installed using local, downloaded repo, my system, due to enhanced IT security didn’t let the process go through (by adding the local repo to sources).

I was able to go through the JetPack installation by installing the CUDA Toolkit manually using gdebi.
The CUDA Toolkit deb files were placed in: /var/cuda-repo-7-0-local after running:

sudo dpkg -i jetpack_downloads/cuda-repo-ubuntu1404-7-0-local_7.0-76_amd64.deb

Not sure the order of dependencies but trial and error wasn’t so complicated.

Solved:

I downgraded my Linux to Ubuntu 14.04 (from 16.04) and re-ran the installation. Completed installation successfully, and many (most) of the cuda samples are running correctly.

Looks like I’m up and running on Jetson. Next, installing ZED.

Thanks to all for the suggestions and ultimate solution.

Solved:

I downgraded my Linux to Ubuntu 14.04 (from 16.04) and re-ran the installation. Completed installation successfully, and many (most) of the cuda samples are running correctly.

Looks like I’m up and running on Jetson. Next, installing ZED.

Thanks to all for the suggestions and ultimate solution.