Issues installing with SLES15.1

Hello. I’m trying to install and compare the performance of MLNX_OFED with different OSs. I didn’t have any issue with CentOS7 or Ubuntu 18.04. However, I haven’t been able to make any progress with either AmazonLinux2 or SLES15.1 as the system is outputting “Current operation system is not supported!” I understand that the former is kind of a proprietary OS and the website does not have a specific package but I’d expect the latter to function properly.

The info for the OS reads:

NAME=“SLES”

VERSION=“15-SP1”

VERSION_ID=“15.1”

PRETTY_NAME=“SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 15 SP1”

ID=“sles”

ID_LIKE=“suse”

ANSI_COLOR=“0;32”

CPE_NAME=“cpe:/o:suse:sles:15:sp1”

The package that I’m using is MLNX_OFED_LINUX-4.6-1.0.1.1-sles15sp1-x86_64 so I’m unsure why of the incompatibility. Thanks.

Hi Steve,

I haven’t had the time to circle back to this problem until recently. After some more testing, I realized that the tested AWS VM does not have a Mellanox adapter, which is probably the root of the problem. However, I don’t have an explanation why the installation with either CentOS or Ubuntu completes but not with SLES. It could be that the SLES installation detects the problem earlier and stops, not sure why of the discrepancy. In any case, I was checking out SLES as a potential alternative and will let you know if running again into this problem. Thanks.

Arturo

P.S. Not sure if I can close the ticket myself but you’re welcomed to do it at your end.

Hello Arturo,

Could you provide the output of:

uname -r

And, the exact command line you are using?

Did you try:

./mlnxofedinstall --add-kernel-support

Did you update your OS before trying to install MOFED?

Thanks

steve

Hello Steve,

Sorry that I didn’t see your message earlier. I’m creating these instances from scratch so (after installing any compiler) the first things that I do are to update the system and install the kernel. For the system info, SUSE15.1 yields 4.12.14-197.4-default and AmazonLinux2 yields 4.14.123-111.109.amzn2.x86_64

I didn’t notice any difference when asking specifically for kernel support as I got the same error messages. For example,

ec2-user@ip-172-31-23-148:~/MLNX_OFED_LINUX-4.6-1.0.1.1-sles15sp1-x86_64> sudo /home/ec2-user/MLNX_OFED_LINUX-4.6-1.0.1.1-sles15sp1-x86_64/mlnxofedinstall

Current operation system is not supported!

ec2-user@ip-172-31-23-148:~/MLNX_OFED_LINUX-4.6-1.0.1.1-sles15sp1-x86_64> sudo /home/ec2-user/MLNX_OFED_LINUX-4.6-1.0.1.1-sles15sp1-x86_64/mlnxofedinstall --add-kernel-support

Current operation system is not supported!

Thanks,

Arturo

Hello Arturo,

The default kernel: uname -r

4.12.14-195-default and MOFED-4.6.1 installation: “./mlnxofedinstall” does work as I just tested it.

I suspect Amazon has changed something in identifying the OS.

You can verify this by starting a VM on your local machine with SLES-15.1 and installing MOFED.

Many thanks,

Cheers,

~Steve

Steve,

I don’t have a local machine ‘per se’ as I’m doing everything on the cloud. I’ll try what you’re suggesting on either Google Cloud or OCI but it might take a couple of days because of some deadlines.

Thanks,

Arturo