I can hear a grinding noise. It spins a little then stops. There is a mechanical problem with it. I contacted customer support ( Adfar Banday) chat line side I was instructed to contact the forum: “I would request you to contact developer forum for the issue, Jetson & Embedded Systems - NVIDIA Developer Forums”.
I don’t believe this is a software issue. Its the hardware and I need it fixed. I ordered this 1/5/2023. Nvidia’s warranty is for 1 year. What should I do?
I can’t give you a full answer, but here are some observations:
- Jetsons don’t normally produce enough heat for the fan to spin unless under load. Initially starting and seeing the fan only turn on for some brief fraction of a second is normal.
- The fan should never have a grinding sound.
- Fans often change behavior from:
- Device tree relative to carrier board. Is this a custom carrier board? A third party carrier board? Are you using the correct device tree or BSP for that carrier board and module combination?
- The power model you are running under (are you setting a model?).
For more of an answer from NVIDIA you will want to include:
- Which module and which carrier board.
- Which release of BSP you are using; if this is a third party carrier board, you’ll need to mention that you are using that, but if this is a dev kit, then you’ll need to mention the L4T release (see “
head -n 1 /etc/nv_tegra_release”).
- What kind of load the Jetson is under.
You may also further tell at what point of boot/operation you hear the fan making noise:
- at power-on time for about 5s ?
- After UEFI screen, just before or when Linux boots ?
- During some heavy processing ?
- Else ?
Thanks everyone, Customer Support is now investigating. Its a mechanical problem with the fan.
The only reason I noticed was I began to do heavy processing and the case was so hot I couldn’t touch it & I was getting warning messages not to touch the case. Then I noticed the FAN was not moving. I jiggled it with a thin screw driver, it spun a few times and came to a grinding halt.
This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.