Lightdm greeter fails to load after package updates

Hi!

I recently purchased a Jetson Nano 2GB. This afternoon, I did upgraded all my packages with:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

After rebooting, I noticed that I no longer am give the lightdm greeter screen. In this state I can switch ttys and get terminal prompts, as well as manually start gdm3 and get its’ greeter screen.

/var/log/lightdm/lightdm.log seems OKish, but /var/log/lightdm/seat0-greeter.log looks like it might be having issues?

/var/log/lightdm/seat0-greeter.log
libgnutls.so.30: failed to map segment from shared object
Failed to load module: /usr/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/gio/modules/libgiognutls.so
[+0.01s] ERROR: creating thread 'gmain': Error creating thread: Resource temporarily unavailable
[+0.00s] DEBUG: unity-greeter.vala:583: Starting unity-greeter 17.04.1 UID=121 LANG=en_US.UTF-8
[+0.00s] DEBUG: unity-greeter.vala:586: Setting cursor
[+0.00s] DEBUG: unity-greeter.vala:600: Loading command line options
[+0.00s] DEBUG: unity-greeter.vala:628: Setting GTK+ settings
[+0.01s] ERROR: creating thread 'gmain': Error creating thread: Resource temporarily unavailable
[+0.00s] DEBUG: unity-greeter.vala:583: Starting unity-greeter 17.04.1 UID=121 LANG=en_US.UTF-8
[+0.00s] DEBUG: unity-greeter.vala:586: Setting cursor
[+0.08s] DEBUG: unity-greeter.vala:600: Loading command line options
[+0.08s] DEBUG: unity-greeter.vala:628: Setting GTK+ settings
[+0.12s] ERROR: creating thread 'gmain': Error creating thread: Resource temporarily unavailable

I have seen some similar threads about systemd being the culprit, but it’s unclear if that is the same case here. I’m currently running 237-3ubuntu10.43 version of systemd.

Does anyone have insights here? Is this an upstream issue?

1 Like

I’m having the exact same issue. At first I thought it was an error in the order of the installation. But I can reproduce the exact issue by:

• flashing the image on the SD card
  • running all configurations until fully booted and on the desktop
  • doing apt update and apt upgrade
  • rebooting

and then not getting the desktop loaded anymore.

EDIT: No longer applies to the current thread since no upgrade to 20.04 occurred.
dist-upgradedo-release-upgrade” is not supported. It sounds like you upgraded to Ubuntu 20.04, which has no idea of Jetson boot requirements. For that case you’ll probably need to flash again, although if it had something valuable on it, you could first clone.

For the case of just apt update and apt-get upgrade (without the “dist-upgrade”) there have been some reports of certain packages breaking parts of the boot or GUI. I don’t know which packages were responsible, and someone else here will probably respond with which packages need to be marked “hold” to prevent them from being upgraded prior to a fix for that issue.

@linuxdev Everything works just fine changing over to gdm3 as a DM, rather than lightdm. It seems just the lightdm-greeter is having some issues. In the “broken” state, the system is fully booted as well. Just the DM fails to load (tty1-6 and remote sessions are all fully functional)

As well, why would dist-upgrade not be supported? All it does is resolve packages dependencies in ways that regular upgrade does not. It is not a distribution upgrade. I’m still running 18.04.5 LTS

upgrade
   upgrade is used to install the newest versions of all packages
   currently installed on the system from the sources enumerated in
   /etc/apt/sources.list. Packages currently installed with new
   versions available are retrieved and upgraded; under no
   circumstances are currently installed packages removed, or packages
   not already installed retrieved and installed. New versions of
   currently installed packages that cannot be upgraded without
   changing the install status of another package will be left at
   their current version. An update must be performed first so that
   apt-get knows that new versions of packages are available.

dist-upgrade
   dist-upgrade in addition to performing the function of upgrade,
   also intelligently handles changing dependencies with new versions
   of packages; apt-get has a "smart" conflict resolution system, and
   it will attempt to upgrade the most important packages at the
   expense of less important ones if necessary. So, dist-upgrade
   command may remove some packages. The /etc/apt/sources.list file
   contains a list of locations from which to retrieve desired package
   files. See also apt_preferences(5) for a mechanism for overriding
   the general settings for individual packages.
$ cat /etc/os-release
NAME="Ubuntu"
VERSION="18.04.5 LTS (Bionic Beaver)"
ID=ubuntu
ID_LIKE=debian
PRETTY_NAME="Ubuntu 18.04.5 LTS"
VERSION_ID="18.04"
HOME_URL="https://www.ubuntu.com/"
SUPPORT_URL="https://help.ubuntu.com/"
BUG_REPORT_URL="https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/"
PRIVACY_POLICY_URL="https://www.ubuntu.com/legal/terms-and-policies/privacy-policy"
VERSION_CODENAME=bionic
UBUNTU_CODENAME=bionic

This seems the same issue.

https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/t/jetson-nano-blank-screen-during-and-after-boot/

1 Like

You are probably correct there as I was thinking of release-upgrade. On the other hand, I don’t think all of the package dependencies are quite correct. There have been some cases lately of certain package upgrades causing the GUI to fail. Those packages which seem to have incorrect dependencies seem to be getting hit every time dist-upgrade is used. Unfortunately, I do not know which dependencies are wrong.

Seems it’s not Ubuntu but Python. I updated Python 3.6 → 3.7, now lightdm gtk greeter is crashing.

Does this mean that the do-release-upgrade works ?