Replace items after build UEFI image

Hi after I build the UEFI image, I get lots of dtbo files, see below picture

how to use them replacing the original files? I mean where the orinal file location and name?

I tried replace the .efi and .bin file in “Linux_for_Tegra/bootloader” folder. but seems the keyboard is not work in this customized UEFI boot stage.

Hi sam,

Does your keyboard work before updating UEFI?

What’s your purpose to re-build UEFI image?

You could just update uefi_Jeton_RELEASE.bin to Linux_for_Tegra/bootloader/uefi_jetson.bin. If you don’t modify anything, it should boot up successfully with normal functionality.

Hi Kevin

yes , before updating UEFI, I use BSP 35.1 with customized pinmux, I can press ESCAPE entering the UEFI menu

after updating UEFI, same BSP35.1, key board not work and the menu seems changed:

original is press ESC enter boot menu

after updating: ( not work with keyboard)
ESC to enter Setup
F11 to enter Boot Manager Menu
Enter to continue boot

If you don’t have any issue with original UEFI, I would suggest just use the original one.
Please let me know if there’s any requirement that you need to re-build UEFI.

yes I have this requirement, because the original UEFI, I have extenal device(not keyboard) will send message through USB and trigger the keyboard that cause the NX go into boot menu and cannot boot sucessfully.

also I can change the bmp during UEFI according to the BSP35.1 guideline

updated UEFI seems disabled the keyboard in UEFI stage and I can boot into ubuntu, but I’m not sure every driver and device is workign well, need check

Yes, you can cusomized logo with following instruction in UEFI.
UEFI Adaptation — Customized Logo

So, your requirement is disabling the keyboard function to avoid entering boot menu?
And you’ve already done this?

yes, my updated UEFI seems disabled the keyboard, but actually I didn’t do any modification on the edk2 package, just build it any replaced the .efi and .bin file…

so actually I don’t know what’s going on, but the keyboard do disabled

what’s my concern is if the whole UEFI build and replacement process is fine. system seems still work and keyboard disabled as my expect. But I don’t know if there is any risk I need to be awared of

You could try only replace uefi_jetson.bin and flash with following command.

$ sudo ./flash.sh -r -k cpu-bootloader jetson-xavier-nx-devkit mmcblk0p1

Does your keyboard and extenal USB device could work after entering ubuntu desktop?

thanks Kevin

keyboard work find in ubuntu

Is this still an issue to support? Any result can be shared? Thanks

Hi kayccc

here is the updated result:

1. after update UEFI, I can change bmp picture to our logo for example, but some other picture seems have problem that system cannot boot up after replaced to them, I don’t know why, same bmp format and same 1920*1080 resolution
  2. after update UEFI, the USB is disabled for sure, but I still can send ESCAPE ASCII code through serial port UART1 go into boot menu… and after go into boot menu, the ASCII code through UART1 not avaialble anymore. for example down arrow, enter key, ESC key
  3. after go into ubuntu system, all USB and serial port seems work fine
  4. currently I still use original UEFI, that I go into boot menu and set the autoboot counting time to 0, and disable the serial port 16550, seems work too

so for now it’s not a high priority issue to me, but if there is any suggestion for issue 1 and 2 will be helpful, otherwise I may need to study the UEFI code and build process, it may need a long time cost.

Hi sam.hu,

For Issue 1:
Do you refer to the following instruction to change logo in UEFI?
UEFI Adaptation — Customized Logo
There’s a note: Customers can replace the NVIDIA provided logo files with their own files and ensure the UEFI binary with the logo file(s) do not exceed the UEFI partition size (3.5MB) in the partition XML file.
Please confirm your bmp size.

For Issue 2:
I could provide you how to disable auto boot timeout of UEFI image, and I think you would not enter boot menu more.

Please refer to the UEFI source
edk2-nvidia/NVIDIA.common.dsc.inc at main · NVIDIA/edk2-nvidia · GitHub

gEfiMdePkgTokenSpaceGuid.PcdPlatformBootTimeOut|L"Timeout"|gEfiGlobalVariableGuid|0x0|5

This 5 seconds is for user to interrupt and enter UEFI menu. It could be customized setting to 0 to disable.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.