The dreaded “Waiting for unattend-upgr to exit” message after the Jetpack Install

Over the last few months I’ve installed the Jetpack 4.2 (or later) onto various Jetson Devices like a bunch of Nano’s, a few TX2’s, and a couple Xaviers. Where I either used the SDKManager or I Imaged them by downloading the OS Image and then flashing them.

The OS flashing always seems to work with one major exception. That exception is issues surrounding the “Waiting for Unattend-upgr to exit.”

The vast majority of the time the OS install process, and the first boot process will go just fine. Where the “waiting for unattend …” message will pop up and then it will complete just fine. Every once in awhile it will stall at that point, but not typically.

It’s much more common to encounter it later on after the first boot. It makes itself known in one of three ways after I assume the image is working fine.

1.) When doing a sudo-apt get install on some package I get the “Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock-frontend – open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)” and then “Unable to acquire the dpkg frontend lock (/var/lib/dpkg/lock-frontend), is another process using it”

2.) When checking for Software updates it stalls at “Waiting for unattended-upgr” to exit

3.) When shutting down it will take a long time.

It doesn’t happen on all the Jetsons I install the OS image to, but enough times that it’s becoming a major time sink in having to re-image them. So I’m wondering if anyone knew of the correct way to resolve the issue or to prevent it? It only happens on the Jetson devices, and not computers that I install Ubuntu 18.04 onto. So what’s going on? It didn’t used to happen with earlier Jetpacks before the SDKManager.

I’m also confused by why I haven’t seen it on DevTalk considering how often I’ve encountered it. Is no one else encountering it? Or are people simply doing what I’ve been doing in re-trying as it doesn’t happen all the time.

I decided to post because it’s happened again on a Jetson Xavier with Jetpack 4.2, and I don’t want to do the re-image since two MIPI cameras are attached to it and they work fine.

It’s been stuck on the “Waiting for unattended-upgr to exit” for about an hour within the Software updater.

You may check this post for disabling unattended-upgrades.

Thanks.

In the future I’ll probably do that right after installing the OS image as I want manual control over the updates anyways.

I believe that will prevent this issue.