Upgrading from Jetpack 5 to Jetpack 6

Hey,

since the Jetpack 5.0.2 does not offer the OTA Upgrade mechanism for RootFS A/B we designed our own upgrade mechanism by replacing the contents of the A/B RootFS partitions.

Currently we have no way of upgrading the bootloader, on the QSPI.

What would be the correct approach to prepare to be able to upgrade to Jetpack 6 when it is released in Q3 2023?
Is there an Image in the bootloader directory which I can directly use to flash the QSPI from a running system? Or is there a command to create a complete image for the QSPI? If yes, what is the name of the file and what would the correct flash command be?

Would this approach result in a working system if I will create RootFS/QSPI on a new Jetpack release and copy both images over a system running the current Jetpack 5 system?

Anyone can comment on this?

Hi,
Sorry for late reply. We will check with our team and update.

Can you share any info yet?

Hi,
We have checked with our teams and confirmed this feature is in plan. It is not ready on Jetpack 5.1. Please wait for next release.

Hey @DaneLLL ,

do I understand correctly that the RootFS A/B and Bootloader update will be available in Jetpack 5.2, which is the last feature release of Jetpack 5? How does it make sense to offer an upgrade mechanism in the very last update of a feature branch? Can you easily upgrade to 6.x then or what is the idea?

Hi,
Yes, the RootFS A/B and Bootloader update will be available in Jetpack 5.1.1. It is to be implemented through image-based OTA.

You can flash and use the JetPack 5.1. Then can upgrade to JetPack 5.1.1 through image-based OTA once JetPack 5.1.1 is released.

Supposedly we will support upgrading from Jetpack 5 to 6. But it might not be ready in first Jetpack release.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.